Draught hole or Mortise first? (Bents)

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.

Draught hole or Mortise first?

Use lathe and drill draught hole first
31%
Use lathe and drill mortise first
38%
Use drill press and drill draught hole first
19%
Use drill press and drill mortise first
No votes
I use another process
13%

Total votes: 16

kkendall

Draught hole or Mortise first? (Bents)

Post by kkendall »

G'day. I discovered this site about 2 weeks ago (thanks to Tyler's web site for pointing me to it). I've been lurking around here reading all the fantastic wealth of information you folks are willing to share. I'd like to extend a GREAT BIG THANK YOU from one fledgling pipe rookie.

One thing - Just curious if the process (lathe vs drill press) drives the decision to drill the mortise or draught hole first especially when the holes are NOT on the same centerline. When the holes are concentric, it probably dosn't matter as much.

I've decided that I will be using a small (11/64) center cut end mill to start my draught holes followed by a drill... and a larger end mill (5/16) to make my mortise holes. This may be over-kill, but I know it will ensure that the draught holes are started true and will have a little less likelyhood to wander and ensure the mortise holes are clean and square.

I earned a college cert in machine tool technology and was a machinist when I was younger which will explain my over-kill approach. But I am curious what experience has taught all of you.

So, I'd like to know (for bents), which you do first.
Last edited by kkendall on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
custom300

Post by custom300 »

I drill the mortise first. I use a 5/16" Forstner to do the mortise. For some reason the Forstner does not do well with a pilot hole. I have had much more precise (tight) mortises when I let the Forstner cut through virgin wood.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

If it's a straight drill, I drill the smoke hole first. If it's a bent, I drill the mortise first.

I use a drill press.

Rad
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

With bents, especially Oom Paul's, drilling the mortise first gives you some wiggle room to hit the draught hole right on with the tobacco chamber. Also, the mortise is typically oversized to assure an angle for the draught hole drill bit.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com