Is this the same acrylic rod?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Ray Cover

Is this the same acrylic rod?

Post by Ray Cover »

I have a few sticks of this I have used for other projects like winding checks on flyrods. I am wondering if this is the same acrylic you guys are using for stems. They call it Acrylic Acetate. This the only place I have ever heard it called that so I am not sure it is the same stuff.

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/tooling/blanks_2.cfm

It does smell like and machines like lucite but it tends to hang on to that plastic smell for a few days after its machined. Anyway will it work for stems?

I have promised myself that I will get some of the other projects I have in que here finished before starting a pipe. In the meantime I am collecting materials and tools. :D

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I imagine they are cast acrylic. If they are suitable for making pens then I don't see why you couldn't carve a stem from one.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've used that stuff before. It looks great once polished, and very interesting. I tend to go for the more subdued patters for stems, though once in a while I'll go for the "goldfish" (as one of my customers dubbed it) pattern here:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Ray Cover

Post by Ray Cover »

Thanks guys,

Good looking stem there Kurt. I have probably 8-10 sticks of this stuff in different patterns. Its good to know I can use it.

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving