blowfish variation

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brooklynpipes

blowfish variation

Post by brooklynpipes »

this is my thirteenth pipe. first time i have made a blowfish type of shape. the tobacco chamber is 3/4, the airhole is 3.5 mm, the length is 5 1/2 in., and the briar is from larry roush. i decided to keep this pipe for myself because everytime i'm smoking a pipe around someone who knows that i make pipes, they ask me if i made the pipe that i'm smoking and i say no. i already started smoking it before i took the pictures, so the char in the bowl is not pre carb. i don't know how to do that yet. thanks for looking.........

Last edited by brooklynpipes on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Cover

Post by Ray Cover »

Excellent design!

I like the looks of the cumberland on there too.

I have been wonder how to incorporate some of my engraving into a pipe design beyond just engraving a band around the shank.

You have given me the answer. The raised panel on the "flat" side of could just as well be a panel of sterling or titanium that is engraved. Don't know why it didn't strike me before but I guess there is no hard writen rule that says every part of a pipe has to be round.

Have you prechared this or treated it in some way? I am wondering what is causing the charcoal color in the chamber.

Thanks for the inspiration. :wink:
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving
brooklynpipes

Post by brooklynpipes »

thanks a lot for the comments. usually the flat side of the blowfish has a flat angled surface that surrounds the oval area. i just decided on a whim to use the engraved style around the oval. the grain is not the traditional cross grain of course, but you can do whatever you want with your personally made pipe. that's what so fun about it. i dont know how to pre carb, and i usually like pipes without it. the char is because i smoked it.....
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice shape! The pipe has a nice flow. Very masculine and pugnatious.