Pipe storage question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Ray Cover

Pipe storage question

Post by Ray Cover »

Since I have been collecting a few pipes lately I have run into a pipe storage issue. Out in the open on a rack really is not an option for me here.

I am considering making a pipe chest similar the Oak Gerstner machinist chest except proportiond a little differently to fit pipes. Are there any issues with storing pipes that are being smoked in drawers like that.

Things I am wondering about are:

1. Will the pipe be able to dry out and "rest" properly.
2. Will being in a confined place like that cause any problems with smell or taste of the pipe since it can't get much fresh air.

Any other things you guys thing of that I should be aware of here?

Thanks,

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving
magruder

Post by magruder »

Hi Ray,

I have quite a few pipes (appox. 50) stored in shallow drawers in a game chest.
They have been fine with no decernable effects other than protecting them from the light.
I have been doing this for about two years.
Also, I know of others that store pipes in this manner and I have never heard of any problems resulting from it.
YMMV.

Best regards,
Steven Magruder Morrisette
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Ray.. if you're planning on making the chest and you're concerned about the pipes getting some air, couldn't you design some type of way to allow air flow? Decorative air holes or some such? Just a thought. Good luck.

Matt
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

If you have a deep rotation, a pipe drawer is dandy. If you smoke some pipes every other day or something, I'd set them on a rack with briar at the lowest point, so the moisture can absorb/dry out efficiently.
Nick

Post by Nick »

The really neat thing to do would be to install some fort of fan on the back, like they have on PCs. But maybe I'm just a geek. Hehe
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Nick wrote:The really neat thing to do would be to install some fort of fan on the back, like they have on PCs. But maybe I'm just a geek. Hehe
Nah... the thought crossed my mind, but I wasn't brave enough to say it in an open forum. :oops:
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I was thinking about inlet and exhaust fans, with the inlet including a chilling coil or dessicant to dehumidify the incoming air...

:oops:
Nick

Post by Nick »

I was thinking about inlet and exhaust fans, with the inlet including a chilling coil or dessicant to dehumidify the incoming air...
Whoa! Scott, you're L33T!
Ray Cover

Post by Ray Cover »

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7994

I found this on Grizzly's web site. It would be hard to make this for $40 and it looks like it would hold several pipes. I figure about 40-45.

I think the 1 3/4" hieght would fit most all of my current pipes.

Ray
Ray Cover
School of Fine Art Engraving