Motor Question

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Motor Question

Post by Nick »

Ok, so I've got this nice motor at home. Its quite old I think, but it turns like a champ. I ususally use it with a danding disc, but of course I will now also want to use it with my spoon bits. (YAY Brad!) The trouble is that it spins the wrong way. I've tried switching the black and white wires, but it still spins counter clockwise. How do I make it spin the right direction? Is there a switch I need to get?
ArtGuy

Re: Motor Question

Post by ArtGuy »

Nick wrote:Ok, so I've got this nice motor at home. Its quite old I think, but it turns like a champ. I ususally use it with a danding disc, but of course I will now also want to use it with my spoon bits. (YAY Brad!) The trouble is that it spins the wrong way. I've tried switching the black and white wires, but it still spins counter clockwise. How do I make it spin the right direction? Is there a switch I need to get?
Build a harness so that you can hang from the ceiling while you work.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

That's funny. I had a similar thought, except I think it would be easier to hang the motor from the ceiling...
Nick

Post by Nick »

PPPPBBTT!

I already tried that, but it still turns the wrong direction. Hmmph!
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Nick

Some motors are hard wired to only turn in one direction. Take the motor to an electrical shop or a small motor shop and have an electrician look at it. He will be able to let you know if there's a way of adapting the stator or armature wiring to allow it to turn in the opposite direction.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

flip it

Post by kbadkar »

You could turn the motor 180 degrees on its base, so the shaft is on the other side of the motor. Of course, if you are somehow attaching a bit directly to the shaft, that doesn't change spin directions, but if you are running a drive belt from it, it will change spin directions of the driven shaft. From my understanding of the spoon bit design (maybe I will stand corrected), it will cut in both directions, so maybe you needn't worry about it yet.