Most useful Dremel bits

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Karol

Most useful Dremel bits

Post by Karol »

G'day, I know this information is scattered thourghout the forum but I'd like to get a condensed infromation from more experienced folks around here. I just got myself Dremel and was wondering which Dremel bits do you find the most useful in your workshop?

I guess this info sheet is a good (not sure whether it's complete) reference:

http://www.hobbyplace.com/tools/drebits.php

Karol
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

I use several, but I'll list the ones I use most often!

#199 Carving bit. Looks like a mini saw blade and is great for cutting the slit in the stem.

Set of engraving bits from 1/16" to 3/32" used for various jobs including rustication.

Ball Carving Burr, primarily used for rustication.

Sanding drums, small and large.

Set of mini rotary files (not dremel) I use for cleaning out the funnel behind the button.

Small Diamond cone burr, used for smearing airways on bent pipes.

Cone shaped Grinding Stone, used to sharpen spade bits.

Flex shaft (invaluable)

#4486 Multi Chuck. With this you don't have to change collets when you change bits with different sized shanks.

Probably more I'm not thinking of right now! :wink:

David
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

I use the DRE199 for slotting the bit, like bvartist mentioned.

I use the DRE117 a lot for shaping the transition from shank to bowl. It's not necessarily that they're the best ones for the task, just that Lowes keeps them in stock and they work.

And I use the DRE115 for larger, flatter areas. Again, I've been using that one because Lowes has that it in stock, as well.

I think the DRE121 looks pretty useful, as it's got a point, but not too sharp. Using it sideways would carve a flat section. If I were going to order one, I think I'd try one of those.

And it seems to me that the DRE111/112/113 might be useful for shaping the airway through the bit, but I've never tried that.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

[/quote]Set of mini rotary files (not dremel) I use for cleaning out the funnel behind the button.

May I ask where you found mini rotary files that fit a dremel?

bob gilbert
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Sure, I can tell you where I got the rotary files, won't help much though! 8) I bought the set from one of those "travelling circus" tool liquidators that set up in a local convention center a couple years ago. Came in a set of 8 rotary files and 8 micro drill bits with 1/8" shank. Never thought about it before now, but I've not seen anything else similar since then.

David
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Might find what you're looking for here:

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/