Metal Lathe Tools ?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
James Sunderland

Metal Lathe Tools ?

Post by James Sunderland »

I just got a Jet 9x20. I"m totally a rookie here. I choose to go big and bypass the drill press, which I was using a friends before. I know very little about metal lathes. Can you guys reconmend some HSS cutting tools.
I have seen Tylers and J.T's videos which help a lot!!
I know Tyler does recomend some on his site but i'm just not sure if i need to go bigger for a 9x20
jeff

Post by jeff »

I went almost two years without, and now can't believe that I did, but I would recommend immediately purchasing a quick-change tool post. Try littlemachineshop.com They have one for around $85 including mounting hardware. From there you can choose to use either 1/4", 3/8", or 1/2" cutting tools. I believe that Little Machine Shop has them as well for around $1 each. These are blanks that you will need to grind to shape. From there, I'd recommend grinding one left-hand, one right-hand, and one round cutting tool. These three are the workhorses. Any custom ones you need after that have yet to be determined, so buy a few extra tool blanks. I hope this is helpful!

Best,

Jeff
James Sunderland

That is just what I wanted to hear thanks a bunch
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I concur with Jeff. Also, the folk at Littlemachineshop.com are great at answering questions. I have picked there brains numerous times on the best way to handle a particular issue related to metal lathes. Just drop them an email and they'll respond quickly.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Here's another source for tools etc. http://www.mcmaster.com/
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

hi james

i have a jet bd-920 as well - for all your tooling try trent rudat

he has made me a chuck to hold stummels and he is also grinding me some tool bits for different pipe-making applications

see the tool section to go to his web site
and to contact him web site is www.briarpipetooling.com
jim
James Sunderland

thanks jim, I actually bought som bits from him in chicago, I was also trying to trade him a roush for a chuck but it didn't work out