facing tool for taig micro lathe

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
timothy thorpe

facing tool for taig micro lathe

Post by timothy thorpe »

an easier question! lol what facing tool do i need for the shank and stem inlays. were can i get it. thanks, tim :lol
jeff

Post by jeff »

You'll need a left hand cutting tool again for stem rings. Shank adornments are a different story. You won't be able to do those on a Taig.

Jeff
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

You can do shank adornments on a Taig, it just takes a bit more of a round about route. I inlay woods on my stems and shanks pretty much the same way. First I chuck the first layer of wood or stem material, and face it on the lathe. From there I glue the next layer on without removing the first from the chuck, wait for the epoxy to cure, face that layer and repeat. Some shaping can be done on the lathe or done freehand once all the layers are built up. The last step on the lathe is to face and drill the material. From there I glue and insert a Delrin rod that will go through the layered wood and into the faced stem material if I’m adding wood to the end of the stem. The Delrin will go through the wood and into the faced shank if I’m adding a shank extension.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com