No 9

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kkendall

No 9

Post by kkendall »

Finished a couple more this weekend. Here is No 9
[p]
Nick

Post by Nick »

Great looking pipe bud. Nice birdseye.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

That's a nice looking pipe with a nice finish.

One thing you might try that would improve the overall look, IMO, is to start the taper on your stem right at the shank face. A tapered stem should usually look like a wedge in profile.

Rad
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Rad.. I see what you're talking about and have a similar problem on the first handmade stem I just finished up. It seems to want to stay all bulgey(is that a word??) right in that spot beyond the shank face. I've thinned mine out considerably since I noticed it but it still has a minor bit of bulge to it. Any advice on thinning it more at that spot? Should I be working stem-to-shank only? I stopped for fear of messing it up but want to work on this on future pipes. Thanks!

Kendall.. nice pipe!!!
James Sunderland

Post by James Sunderland »

Great stain for that shape.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

hazmat wrote:Rad.. I see what you're talking about and have a similar problem on the first handmade stem I just finished up. It seems to want to stay all bulgey(is that a word??) right in that spot beyond the shank face. I've thinned mine out considerably since I noticed it but it still has a minor bit of bulge to it. Any advice on thinning it more at that spot? Should I be working stem-to-shank only? I stopped for fear of messing it up but want to work on this on future pipes. Thanks.
No advice, really, you just have to kee thining it. :D

You might try working your way up from the button end to the shank face, until you get a nice straight taper from the shank end to the button.

Rad