A handful of new ones

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

A handful of new ones

Post by KurtHuhn »

I finally finished a bunch of pipes I had half done for a couple weeks now.

Fist is a "bumblefish". It's blowfishy, discusy, and uses a neat new material:

Next is a poker/dublin. The grain really cooperated with me here:

And this pipe is really special. It has a synthetic horn stem - a material that I've been trying to find for ages, and finally got a reliable supply of. It is so good that I'm about to place a huge order of the stuff.

All of these were don by shaping first, then drilling second. Please let m know what you think.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Calumet

Post by Calumet »

Hi Kurt,

These are some nice looking pipes you have made.
I specially like the,Dublin/Poker,with the most beautifull birdseyes I ever saw.
Whoow,respect!
Can I ask what the yellowish material is you used on the 'Bumblefish'?
And does it have a millitary mouthpiece or a regular one?

Kind regards
Frank
magruder

Post by magruder »

Hey Kurt,
Nice looking pipes. I especially like the last one.
Could you share some info on the syn. horn? Source, working it, feel in the mouth, etc.?
Thanx,
Steve Morrisette
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Calumet wrote: Can I ask what the yellowish material is you used on the 'Bumblefish'?
And does it have a millitary mouthpiece or a regular one?
magruder wrote:Could you share some info on the syn. horn? Source, working it, feel in the mouth, etc.?
The first is synthetic amber, a polyester-based material that I found at a knife makers supply place. Same for the synthetic horn. It's a tad softer than ebonite, and seems very sensitive to high heat, but also finishes well and is very forgiving. For instance, I normally sand ebonite to about 2000 grit using Abralon discs to be sure the surface is nice and smooth. However, I quickly found that wasn't necessary with this polyester-based stuff. Anything past 500 grit was a waste of time. Buffing is best done with white compound, and just skip the brown tripoli.

I found it all here:
http://www.masecraftsupply.com/
He's got all kinds of goodies there.

In terms of mouth feel, I'd rank it with good quality ebonite. It has some give, doesn't "click" on your teeth like acrylic can, and has a pleasant warmth. I left the bit on that pipe somewhat thick at .16" just for insurance, and as I get more familiar with the material, I'm sure that I'll be more comfortable thinning it out some. But since it is a tad softer than vulcanite, I don't think it could really get into the .10 range that ebonite and acrylic can sometimes withstand.

Overall, I think it's a great material. It's not the most inexpensive decorative stem material at about $40 per meter (or $1 per inch), but the color of the horn and amber synthetics are so good, that it's completely worth the cost to me.

And finally.... :)
The bumblefish has a really cool stem arrangement. The block of synthetic amber was countersunk using one of the tobacco chamber bits from Brad, and I turned a lip on the stem so that once it's in the hole it provides a nice fit. I did this to save a little weight, since the polyester stuff is a little heavy if you use big chunks of it. A took a quick snapshot of the arrangement to illustrate what I mean:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

WOW Kurt, beautiful. The blasted blowfish/discus pipe is incredible. I LOVE the stem on the smooth blowfish/discus pipe. Thanks for the link, I will have to check them out. Some nice looking materials.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

Beautiful work, I love the poker. Is the stem one piece or a drelin?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The tenon is indeed delrin. I've gotten the delrin dance down to a science, so I just use it for everything.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sprangalang

Post by sprangalang »

Kurt, Awesome pipes, I like how you got the top-heavy dublin to sit, and the first one is striking with the yellow on black.
BTW thanks for the link, I've been looking for a place like that!
-Jeff
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

sprangalang wrote:Kurt, Awesome pipes, I like how you got the top-heavy dublin to sit
Perfect balance on that one for sure. Great birdseye and finish too.