slot on the button

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
timothy thorpe

slot on the button

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, as always thanks for the help! just a question on making the funnel in the slot. so i can make the slot, but what is the best tool bit to funnel the hole? thanks so much, tim
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Some guys use a 1mm drill bit to do the funneling. You chuck it up into a drill press, lathe or rotary tool and "smear" the material out of the way to make the Y shape.

Others are using an item called a broach. You can get them at micro-mark. I believe it's www.micromark.com and do a search for "broach". It only cuts on the pull stroke and works well for getting the funnel shaped out, though it does take more time than the drill bit method.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

hazmat wrote:Some guys use a 1mm drill bit to do the funneling. You chuck it up into a drill press, lathe or rotary tool and "smear" the material out of the way to make the Y shape.

Others are using an item called a broach. You can get them at micro-mark. I believe it's www.micromark.com and do a search for "broach". It only cuts on the pull stroke and works well for getting the funnel shaped out, though it does take more time than the drill bit method.
\

thanks! i had trouble chucking it in a demel for some reason. the bit was too small.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The single biggest help to me, in terms of creating the funnel, was investing in a small and comfortable handpiece for my dremel. It allows for loads of control and flexibility, and it (at least for me) resulted in faster and more accurate work.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

KurtHuhn wrote:The single biggest help to me, in terms of creating the funnel, was investing in a small and comfortable handpiece for my dremel. It allows for loads of control and flexibility, and it (at least for me) resulted in faster and more accurate work.
hi kurt, what do you mean by handpiescr. thanks
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

The problem with the small bit falling out of your rotary tool can be resolved by getting a smaller collet. They usually sell different size collets where they sell the rotary tools.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

achduliebe wrote:The problem with the small bit falling out of your rotary tool can be resolved by getting a smaller collet. They usually sell different size collets where they sell the rotary tools.
yes! that what i need. i hope lowe's has it
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Lowe's should have smaller collets for you. I've gotten several from the one in my area.

Kurt.. do you use a flex-shaft on your dremel?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

timothy thorpe wrote:hi kurt, what do you mean by handpiescr. thanks
hazmat wrote:Kurt.. do you use a flex-shaft on your dremel?
Ayup, it can be seen in action here:

For the sake of completeness, this is not a Dremel brand tool, I go this one at Woodcraft, and it's a We-Cheer brand tool. I have no idea if the handpiece would work for a dremel or not. Other than the name, it's nearly identical to a dremel in terms of operation. I also have mine on a footswitch so that I can vary speed with foot pressure.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

achduliebe wrote:The problem with the small bit falling out of your rotary tool can be resolved by getting a smaller collet. They usually sell different size collets where they sell the rotary tools.
Rather than having a bunch of different collets, go with the keyless chuck. No more changing collets to change bits! Available at Lowe's and most places that carry Dremel type bits. A flex shaft is great too.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTG ... less-chuck
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

bvartist wrote:
Rather than having a bunch of different collets, go with the keyless chuck. No more changing collets to change bits! Available at Lowe's and most places that carry Dremel type bits. A flex shaft is great too.

thanks!!! i well get it today so i can finish the slot.

tim
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

bvartist wrote:

Sum'bitch.. everytime someone posts a link on here, I end up spending money! :lol: