Stain coming off Stummel?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Nick

Post by Nick »

bscofield wrote:
TreverT wrote:
Nick wrote:If Trever says thats how to do it, then by god, that's how I'll do it! Trever's word is law among the pipe makers of the world. At least the good ones anyway.
Ha! Now if THAT were the case then my word would be, "Send me 65% of the price of all pipes sold" :twisted:
WOW! Even as master of the world you'd only take 65%?? Your a true gentleman! :lol:
This again, just reaffirms my beilief that Trever is the Obi Wan of the pipe making world.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nick wrote:This again, just reaffirms my beilief that Trever is the Obi Wan of the pipe making world.
If he's the Obi Wan, I must be the Mace Windu.

"I want you to go into that bag, and find my my pipe. It's the one that says 'Bad Mother F****er'."

:D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tyler and Todd would be Trever's Paduan learners then.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Nick wrote:Tyler and Todd would be Trever's Paduan learners then.
To quote "Annie" Skywalker, "I'm in agony!" (This was the point during his supposedly emotional conversation with Padme that Em and I both shouted at the TV, "So are we!!". The dialogue, man, the dialogue...)

I am NOT the Jedi-anything of the pipemaking world. Darth Maul and/or the Emperor both suit my temperament much better.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

TreverT wrote:I am NOT the Jedi-anything of the pipemaking world. Darth Maul and/or the Emperor both suit my temperament much better.
I do seem to have Mace Windu's haircut though. And Samuel L Jackson's general attitude. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

I've got Yoda's balls!
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Not meaning to hijack this fantasy thread! :wink:

Thanks for the info on the abralon disks Kurt! I finished a smooth yesterday using the disks. Worked very well. And actually got my thinned shellac to perform like I wanted. Definitely worth buying!

Nick, since Yoda was a puppet, I don't know if I'd go around bragging you had his balls. They'd be useless! :P
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Old thread, but thought I'd mention I recently had a noticible case of stain coming off on my hand from a new Dunhill shell. Recent production pipe, perfect in every detail, smoked great, and is now a favorite... but for the first 10-15 smokes, when the bowl got warm, the stain would transfer.

Didn't mean a thing as far as I was concerned. Once I knew it was happening, I just kept a piece of old T-shirt nearby to wipe it down when it got warm. In fact, the reddish "see-through" highlights that usually take years to develop from handling on old Shells seemed to have gotten a head start, so I liked that it happened.

I guess I'm mentioning it to illustrate that if a shop that has literally made millions of pipes can turn one out that does this, there must a bit of alchemy involved.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Yep. I just refinished one of my oldest pipes, a Peterson system that was my first "expensive" pipe, and since it was just for me I applied maximum protection finishing - a heavy coat of Danish Oil followed by a final coat of nitrocellulose lacquer and then a good polish and wax. Even with all this, I'm now four smokes into it and the red stain is still bleeding off faintly onto my fingers during each smoke. I really don't think it's possible to get around some red/orange stain bleed unless you're willing to apply some type of solid acrylic polymer surface finish that could create an impenetrable barrier across the wood... and then good luck keeping that from bubbling with heat!
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/