RMPerkins

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
buster

RMPerkins

Post by buster »

I was looking at your website and I noticed on your previous pipes page that you had a pipe with Manzanita in the name . Is that the type of wood? The reason I ask is because I think my bird has a manzanita perch. If that is the case is that a good alternative for briar. Beautifull pipes by the way. What do they sell for ?

Buster
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Hey, Buster, how's it going? Yeah, that one pipe, "Squatty Manzanita Bulldog", was made out of manzanita.

We actually had a little discussion about that particular pipe -- and manzanita in general -- here on the forum awhile back.

Not just there, but we also talked a little more about the Ericacea plant family -- strawberry tree, heath, manzanita, madrone, etc. -- just the other day.

And you're exactly right, they use manzanita for bird perches, among other things.

I would say that the above-ground manzanita wood would make a nice pipe, but that's only based on a single sample of below-ground manzanita burl that I have that still has a little of the above-ground wood still attached.

It certainly seems fine enough textured to make a pipe, anyway, and well-worth trying.

I do know that the manzanita root burls make a nice pipe. In fact, I am working on another pipe out of manzanita right now, and it is virtually identical to Mediterranean briar, except that the pieces of manzanita I have are a rich, burgundy-red, compared to the slightly pinkish tan I am used to with "imported" briar.

If it turns out, which I think it will, I will post some pictures, because I really love the idea of domestic woods for pipes.

Right now I have a pipe logjam going on, as I was waiting for a new pipe stamp that apparently UPS lost -- just dropped off the face of the earth, as near as anyone can figure.

Fortunately the guy who made the first stamp is expediting stamp #2, so hopefully I'll have that one sometime this week, and I should be back to posting pictures of new pipes again.

Once that happens, the six pipes I am sitting on will probably range from around $160 to around $300. It just depends on how well they ultimately turn out, how much time I had to put into them, etc.

And thanks for the complement and the interest. You really made my day. :D