What can you tell me about cracks developing?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
pierredekat

What can you tell me about cracks developing?

Post by pierredekat »

I have several old estate pipes in my regular rotation, and I have noticed, over the last few months, that three of them have developed rather significant cracks in the shanks and/or the bottoms of the bowls.

The one that really killed me was one of my favorites, an old English-made Sterling. Man, I loved that pipe. It was a very attractive apple with a silver band, and it really delivered the goods, taste-wise.

But I was looking it over the other night and noticed that the bottom of the bowl had suddenly started to look like somebody had dropped a firecracker inside. It was just really cracked, big time.

Is it overly moist tobacco? I have been seeing a lot of moist goo accumulating at the bottom of the bowls lately, though I have been trying to wipe it out as I see it.

Is it the result of poor lighting technique?

I am pretty sure the bottom of the bowl on that particular pipe was fairly thin -- somewhere in the 1/8 inch thick range, I'm guessing. The same might be said for the cracked shanks on the other two pipes.

But, heck, they did survive for a lot of years before I got my hands on them.

Thoughts?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I see a lot of really old pipes, and many have developed the sorts of problems you describe.

Think of the Big Picture and it is clear what's happening. Imagine what every pipe on Earth today will look like 5000 years from now. Dust, right? OK, then 1000 years. There will likely be a handful of barely recognizable ones. 500 years... quite a few survive, but they're all delicate and brittle.

Etc.

Meaning, as tough as it is, briar doesn't last forever. One day it will disintegrate. And that process---for every pipe in existence---is already underway. It starts the day they're made. The "leading edge" of that disintegration is what you are seeing, I think. The weak link spots of highest stress---the shank and hot spots in the bowl---are the first to break down.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Robert

After reading your post, I closely examined my daily smokers with an otoscope. None of them exhibit the cracks you mention, but I have encountered these cracks in other estate pipes that have come my way. They sort of resemble the cracks in charcoal?

Most of my daily smokers are old WDC Wellingtons, so they have to be at least a few decades old.

The question arises, do you have a hard draw that gets the coal fairly hot, which could char the briar? Otherwise, it could just be the briar.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Interesting observations, LatakiaLover. Yeah, that definitely makes sense.
The question arises, do you have a hard draw that gets the coal fairly hot, which could char the briar? Otherwise, it could just be the briar.
When I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I smoke fairly cool. But there are times when I'm preoccupied and I catch myself smoking a little on the hot side. Yeah, that would be a good possibility.

Some other factors that I'm wondering about are:
* summer heat and/or high humidity
* air conditioning and/or low humidity
* not enough rotation in my rotation -- the Sterling apple was getting smoked 2-3 times a day, I would say
ckr

Post by ckr »

I have had a few cracked shanks - I always attributed it to the different materials reacting with temperture and moisture.

I have also found when curing wood by boiling the resins out.
A) Wet (fresh) wood will dry with little cracking if dried slowly.
B) Aged wood that is fairly dry will almost surly crack - no matter how slowly it dries.

Right or wrong, I think that once wood has stablilzed (dried out) the re-introduction of moisture stresses the structure of the wood and when it again dries out it is more prone to fail during the shrinkage. This was also true with a few old dry briar burls I cured. So while briar exhibits very little shrinkage the double wammy does prove fatal.

Could be why the cutters keep those burls in the shade, hosed down and wet until they are cut.

Fume in pace, ckr