forstner bit with mortise drill bit

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote: To be honest, I never even considered sanding the face of something that is hidden 99.99% of the time.
Neither did I, but I've found that it's one of those things that people look at at a show to determine "quality". I mean, look at this pic:

Doesn't that just scream "Attention To Detail"? :lol:

I know it's kind of crazy, but it's what people want to see. And you have to admit, it does look good.

Rad
Oh, no argument that it looks good. You'd have to be a real weirdo to argue that point. :)

Okay, I'm convinced. It ought to take no time at all to sand it while the stummel is spinning on the lathe. I figure I could a jig similar to the one I made for making shank end caps to make sure it doesn't go out of square.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

I square my shank end spinning on a steel rod in my metal lathe after that its just a minutes time on a glass plate with 400 paper and its done..a good tip if its not a very light finish pipe is to stain the shankface black before the sandpaper that will tell you exactly where you are missing out
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

hazmat wrote:
Rad.. when you're sanding the shank face, how are you doing it? I'm assuming the "dragging over sand paper on a flat surface" method?
Yes. Just like Love is talking about.

Rad
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I agree with Rad. And his work is proof he does it so well.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com