metal lathe

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
buster

metal lathe

Post by buster »

I was wondering what kind of metal lathe everyone uses. Is a mini lathe good for just making stems or is it also good for shaping. If you do use a metal lathe for shaping would a wood lathe do the same thing. Im confused. Thanks.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

A wood lathe is preffered for shaping the bowl. It give you freedom and flexibility that is necessary when working with wood. It is also my tool of choice when making "freehand" stems - the kind normally associated with Danish pipes.

A mini metal lathe typically does not have the mass or capacity for shaping the bowls of pipes.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Metal lathes are great for tenons. Other than that, a wood lathe is great!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Wood lathes are good for at least 4 pipe-making operations:

Stummel drilling
Stummel turning
Stummel shaping with sanding discs
Stems, the whole shebang, especially if you're using delrin for tenons

There's probably more than that but that's off the top of my noodle.

Standard metal lathes can do all the same work with some extra rigging out, e.g. a tool rest for using hand chisels.

Mini metal lathes, like the Taig, are strictly stem and small object only machines. Folks have turned stummels on them, but I can't imagine it and won't even bother trying with mine.

From a cost standpoint, a decent mini metal lathe is going to cost you $500+/- and do one job for you. A decent wood lathe, rigged out properly for pipe making operations, will start right around that same price and start going higher depending on what you need for the job you want to perform.

The best of both worlds, IMHO, would be to own a metal lathe that I can attach a tool rest to for turning stummels. You can then use it for most of the operations involved in making a pipe.

All that being said, you definitely have a decision on your hands. The question of "which lathe???" is one that's frequently discussed here and if you do a search on the word, make a pot of coffee, pack a pipe full of your favorite, and settle in for a bunch of reading. Ultimately it's going to come down to what you can afford to fit in the space you have available that will do the job you currently aren't able to do without the tool.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi guys,

You can pretty much do anything on a metal lathe that you can on a wood lathe. Plus, you have the precision of a metal lathe for when you need it. :D

You can use your metal lathe tools/bits as a tool rest without having to rig anything up. Just turn the tool to where you can rest a chisel or whatever on it as you shape your stummel.

Rad
buster

metal lathe

Post by buster »

Is the taig metal lathe the most popular among pipe makers or does it vary?
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Rad... never even considered using the tool post w/ tool in it as a tool rest. Now I REALLY need to leave the office early!!!!!!

Buster... it varies. I got mine because I didn't have the room for anything else. Other guys will have various other reasons for their choices. It's a fine piece of machinery, but it's limited to an extent. If you have the means to drill and shape a stummel but no way whatsoever to make stems from rod stock, it'll get you there. If you're not concerned about hand-cutting stems at this point, there are other avenues available for less money that will work out for you.

A side note on the Taig. If you're looking for a way to cut tenons on preformed stems, buy a tenon turner from JH Lowe, Pimo or elsewhere. I have a hell of a time getting molded stems set up properly in my Taig... there's just no good way for chuck jaws to securely grip a tapered bit of anything. It can be done, it's just not a quick and easy process in my opinion.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

The little Taig is really only good for stems. As Hazmat suggests, use the word search in this forum to find info on metal lathes - what brands, domestic vs. China, sizes, etc. It's worth studying all the info to make an educated purchase. You don't want to have to buy twice. There is no simple answer, it's your budget vs. what you need to accomplish. If you're a newbie, I'd make sure you're really into pipe making before a major purchase. You don't need much tooling to start... Kurt just put up a little sticky post about the tools you need.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: metal lathe

Post by Tyler »

buster wrote:Is the taig metal lathe the most popular among pipe makers or does it vary?
I'd say no, the Taig is not the most popular among pipe makers, especially among the full-time pros. It is a good little tool for a hobbyist pipe maker that doesn't have much space or money, but it is most definitely not the perfect tool. I have one, and for my tooling set up it is indispensable; however, I'd trade in my midi wood lathe and Taig for a large metal lathe in a heart beat.

Tyler