s&D Bits

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Briarfox

s&D Bits

Post by Briarfox »

I could have sworn that I had already got a responce on this subject but for the life of me I can't find the thread through the search function.

I got some S&D bits for christmas now I need to shape them. Would I be better off turning them backwards on a lathe and using a grinder to shape them, or should I shape them on a bench grinder?

Also how much of a tip do I want? Or do I want the whole thing to be more rounded?

Thanks in advance guys, i appreciate all the help and info that you all freely provide.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Spinning them backward will result in less cleanup you have to do on the cutting edge and relieving the surface behind the edge.

I like to spin mine on the lathe and use an angle grinder to shape them - NOT THAT I SUGGEST ANYONE ACTUALLY DO AS I DO. :shock:

You could do the same thing by chucking in a reversible drill and spinning them while using a bench grinder.

And the specific shape of the bit depends on the shape of the pipe, really. I prefer a more conical bit, as I feel it gives me more freedom in the shape of the pipe.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

I gave it a go on the lathe, Thanks Kurt. Looks like it came out good!
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

sorry must have been blind when I was looking for the previous post, it's was just a few posts down under tobacco chamber. Guess I used the wrong keywords.