What Are Your Pipemaking Aspirations?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ToddJohnson

What Are Your Pipemaking Aspirations?

Post by ToddJohnson »

Or do you have any? Or if you do, do you know precisely what they are? I'm curious on a number of levels what amateur carvers are aspiring to. Are you content making pipes to smoke yourself and give as gifts? Are you interested in becoming a full time pipemaker? Would you like for pipemaking to be a lucrative hobby?

I'm not really interested in polling folks so they can be classified into categories, I'm just very interested in what others have called a "phenomenon," that being an influx of new pipecarvers. Are you aiming at a particular niche in the market at this point? Are there limitations (materials, tools, finances, know-how) that presently impede your progress? What sorts of things do you think might help and encourage you toward your goals?

Okay, lots of questions I know. Answer as many or as few however you see fit. I'm very fascinated to hear your thoughts. I suppose this question is aimed mainly at American carvers, but if you're from another country like Lithuania or Texas, feel free to add your input.

Best,

Todd

STOA Briars
www.stoabriars.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

lol Todd, Lithuania or Texas. TX is just a little bit bigger. Will answer your other question later. Just had to get this in. still lol

ToddJohnson ask:
I suppose this question is aimed mainly at American carvers, but if you're from another country like Lithuania or Texas, feel free to add your input.
jchamb

Post by jchamb »

I've been making pipes purely for my own smoking enjoyment, and the pleasure I get in working with the briar.

I have no plans to ever sell any pipes, although I may (and probably will) give away a few to friends. I started doing this just to see if I could, and while I'm happy with my results, I have also found a greater appreciation for those who make pipes for a living! I find it enjoyable, challenging, difficult and frustrating (especially when I'm doing final sanding and uncover a sand pit or crack in the briar!)

Now that I've started, I find it hard to stop - but I'm still purchasing pipes also, so I guess I just basically love these little works of art.

BTW - I looked at your web site and am truly impressed with the pipes you have pictured there.

john
marks

Post by marks »

Todd, I have yet to sell a pipe, but I imagine that at some point I would like to start selling them. Not yet, though, as I feel that I would like to get better before I offer them to collectors. Right now, I am only making six to ten pipes a year, and my skills are developing slowly. I am happily field testing all of the pipes I have made so far, except for the two I have given as gifts. I have thoroughly enjoyed making them, and seeing what goes in to making a high quality pipe. I am learning one or two new things with each pipe I make.

My ultimate goal is to make enough money selling pipes part time to support my pipe making and show going hobby (if and when I do start offering them for sale, and if collectors buy them) and to be able to provide some additional income in my retirement years. If that never happens, I will still be quite content making pipes for my and my close friends' enjoyment.

If you are interested, the link below will take you to my little home page where I have my finished pipes displayed. I am always eager to hear constructive criticism. (You will no doubt notice that I am not a photographer by trade) :)

http://hometown.aol.com/jmbspell/myhomepage/index.html
JMB

Post by JMB »

Todd, very good question for the younger folks. I am doing it so I can get my 15 min of fame before I kick out!! Not so, I am retired, so I am not looking for new JOB. Guess I am like jchamb "making pipes purely for my own smoking enjoyment" Sure I would like to do straight grain masterpiece, but if I did I would never be able to part with it. I would look at it everyday and then leave it to our kid's. Something besides bills when I go.lol
Good to have you on board.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I would like to turn it into a lucradive hobby and eventually perhaps be able to suppliment my retirement income with my pipemaking. (Though retirement is another 30+ years away so I have plenty of time to establish myself eh)

Mainly I just want to do my best and one day be recognized as one of the better pipemakers out there.

The short term goal is to, within 5 years, be turning out very high grade pipes.

PS. Welcome to the group Todd. Tyler has mentioned a lot about you and I have been admiring your work for some time.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I guess my aspirations in pipemaking have evolved from necessity. I have been on the hunt for a churchwarden for a little while, but have not really found what I am looking for. So, not really knowing if what I have been looking for in a churchwarden exists, I figured I try to make my own. Since I have started working on it and I have been scouring the net for information, it is evolving into much more. I already have plans for future pipes. Although, it seems that I will never finish this churchwarden. It is very close to being complete, but yet seems so far away.

Anyways, my current aspirations are to start building a shop like work area and building my tool base. I have a couple of friends that have been smoking pipes for many years, that I plan on making pipes for so that they can critique them. From there, I will take it as it comes. This is my new found hobby and I am addicted. But being that it is a hobby, I will treat it as such...no pressure on myself. Pressure always seems to eliminate the joy and I definately want to keep this a joyful experience.

Good question. And Todd, WELCOME. I ran across your web site a few months back, in one of my early searches for information on pipe making. I have enjoyed seeing the pieces that you produce, they are unbeleivable! Great work.

And as usual, thanks Tyler for providing this site!

Thanks,
-Bryan
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

aspirations... hmm... Well, the obvious is to make great pipes! Like John said, recognition as a good pipe maker would be nice. I'd like people to consider my pipes to be well made, a good smoke, and very original looking. I'm not sure I want to "MAKE A KILLING" in the pipe making world. I'd be REALLY happy if some day I could make enough money in a year to pay for a vacation for me and the wife. Right now, while I'm learning, I'm gonna be making some as gifts for friends and family. That'll get me a nice learning experience plus it will save me money.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'm just doing it because I love pipes. I love the art and the utility of a pipe. And making my own has really enriched my appriciation of the craftsmanship that goes into making a pipe.

What are my aspirations? To have fun and make somthing that is beautiful and functional. More than that I'll leave to the pros.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Aspirations? To become the best damn pipemaker I can. Hopefully have a loyal fan base (got a good start on that), and be able to make a living at it.

As it is now, I've managed to fully populate my shop with tools bought exclusively using proceeds from sales, and now I'm getting to the point where everything minus materials can be used to pay bills. I don't think I can just go and quit my day job yet, but I'd love to be able to do exactly that in a few years when name recognition kicks in and the orders really pick up.

I've got a ways to go, and I've only recently started selling to the general public (about 12 months ago) despite having been making pipes for a couple years. I've been told it's time to focus on marketing, and I couldn't agree more. It's just that I hate marketing....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com