stem drilling

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
timothy thorpe

stem drilling

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, it seems my 5/32 tapered bit for stem drilling is not thin enough. i have been experimenting with my one pipe a month prodution. i have also sanded into the airhole today on a stem, you know the feeling!! so is it possible to drill the rod 3/4 of the way though with 5/32 then turn it around and use a 1/16 drill bit? this way i can really make it as thin as possible. i assume just as long as i have a good v-slot it will be fine. what do you guys think?

thanks,tim
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

If you turn it around you'll lose your center. Use a long thin bit -- drill with your tapered bits first (always start with a spot/center drill), stop 1/2" or so from the end, and finish with the thin bit. Then slot and vee. If you have really round stock and collets or a really good chuck you might not see too much shift, and it probably wouldn't shift enough to really mess up the airway, but it's really hard to get anything to fit in a chuck exactly the same way twice. When I have to use a chuck, I try to complete all turning operations on a stem without removing it from the chuck. If that's not possible, I get it close enough that I can complete what needs to be done holding the stem by the tenon -- index to the holes whenever possible.

However, sanding into the airway tends to be self-limiting behavior. : )
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

JHowell wrote:If you turn it around you'll lose your center. Use a long thin bit -- drill with your tapered bits first (always start with a spot/center drill), stop 1/2" or so from the end, and finish with the thin bit. Then slot and vee. If you have really round stock and collets or a really good chuck you might not see too much shift, and it probably wouldn't shift enough to really mess up the airway, but it's really hard to get anything to fit in a chuck exactly the same way twice. When I have to use a chuck, I try to complete all turning operations on a stem without removing it from the chuck. If that's not possible, I get it close enough that I can complete what needs to be done holding the stem by the tenon -- index to the holes whenever possible.

However, sanding into the airway tends to be self-limiting behavior. : )
hi jack, thanks! i have been using the 5/32 tapered bit for a while, i am just stumped on how to make a really thin bit!! and your work is amazing! really nice pipes. were do you recommend i get the long thin bit and what size? :) thanks
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

the size of the bit can be either 1/16" or 1mm, either or will work. Used to be able to get them from bitsnbores.com, but they went out of business. Jamestown Distributors may have them. You want a long bit for this... mine's about 5 or so inches. After you drill as Jack explained with the tapered bit, just go back into the same hole with the 1/16 bit and finish drilling through.
souljer

Post by souljer »

hazmat wrote:... After you drill as Jack explained with the tapered bit, just go back into the same hole with the 1/16 bit and finish drilling through.
Exactly. This is how I start also. Once the rod is in the chuck I try not to remove it until all lathe work is done. Measure and mark the rod and/or bits (I usually use a piece of masking tape on the bit) regarding depth, etc. before mounting the rod in the lathe.

Advance the smaller bit slowly as you get to where it's going to make contact. Let it gently find the center point of the taper and continue the bore. Rather than going too fast and the fine bit catching on a grove or some shreds in there and bouncing off center.

Probably any place that has tapered bits will have long 1-mm or 1/16 bits too. I would also buy more than one, as these super thin bits will eventually break after awhile. They are being subjected to a lot of force relative to their tiny diameter.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Timothy, Tyler Lane shows this exact procedure on his videos which you can view at www.tylerlanepipes.com If you've not watched these videos yet, I highly commend them to you.

The 1/16 bit can be purchased online at a variety of tool vendors.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Timothy, Tyler Lane shows this exact procedure on his videos which you can view at www.tylerlanepipes.com If you've not watched these videos yet, I highly commend them to you.

The 1/16 bit can be purchased online at a variety of tool vendors.
THANKS GUYS! i have already purchased the bit.

tim