lathe cutting tools

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
buster

lathe cutting tools

Post by buster »

Just wondering what type of cutter everyone uses to turn tenons. Left hand, right hand, brand, etc...

Thanks
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Well, I'm about to find out what works best, but for cutting butter, HSS seems to me to be the best way to go!
Frank

Post by Frank »

If you're using a metal lathe, you might want to get/grind both a left & right tool. Brand shouldn't matter as long as it's quality HSS.

The other option is to get a set of tools that take inserts. Thus far this is the only place I've found that supplies HSS inserts: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/info/inserts.php

As Kim mentioned, and Jack elsewhere, HSS works better for cutting stem material than carbide.

If you intend turning them on a wood lathe, Kurt can advise you in that area.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Actually, I use both HSS and carbide DMG inserts, don't remember the actual specs of the latter but they have quite a bit of positive rake and are very sharp, cut both vulcanite and acrylic very well. The main drawback to the inserts is the price. You can buy a handful of HSS bits for what a single Kennametal or Mitsubishi insert will cost, and cheap inserts or brazed carbide toolbits will just be frustrating. I bought one of Enco's package deals of 30-something brazed carbide bits, and they're terrible. I bought some Hardinge brazed tool bits from a machinist who was selling his stuff and they're superb. In short, HSS does not necessarily cut stem stock better than carbide, but it's a much better place to start.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I forgot, I was thinking about coated inserts.

BTW Jack, is there any advantage of diamond shape inserts over trangular?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

The folk at Little Machine Shop are the best to answer questions too.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Frank wrote:I forgot, I was thinking about coated inserts.

BTW Jack, is there any advantage of diamond shape inserts over trangular?
I don't know. My guess would be that for us there is not, but a diamond insert seems to afford a little more meat around the mounting hole for a given hole size. And the diamond shape allows a more acute angle, like VMGs.