Absylux Redux

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
pierredekat

Absylux Redux

Post by pierredekat »

I have been getting a little bit of feedback on Absylux as a stem material, and so far, everybody seems to like it.

Here's a thread over at Smokers' Forum started by Mike Leverette about some stems I made for him.

And about halfway down, "Ego Archive" adds to the discussion regarding an Absylux stem that I made for him.

I am also waiting for a couple other guys to report back, but so far, so good.

So have any of y'all had a chance to try making a stem out of it? I know that Kim had picked some up, but I haven't heard yet what he thought.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've got some sitting here, but haven't made a stem from it yet. I've been too busy getting orders out the door, and I don't want to use an unsuspecting customer as a guinea pig. Hopefully I'll get to it soon though.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Congrats on all the positive response to your ABS stems over at Smoker Folks :twisted: , Robert.

Probably what's needed is a side-by-side test of your ABS againsts Kim's ABS to try and determine if there is any quality difference. Perhaps you could trade each other a short length. The advantage of Kim's supplier is that you don't need to purchase an entire 8' length, that is why I have been waiting for his feedback.

By all accounts so far, it sounds as if it's shaping up to be a possible replacement for vulcanite/ebonite, at least here in the USA, especially since the aforementioned material is becoming scarcer and more expensive. Hopefully, like a ripple in a pond, the response/usage will spread further afield. Possibly even to the point of premoldeds.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett