Plateaux

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Briarfox

Plateaux

Post by Briarfox »

Whats the best method for getting the bark off the Plateaux? I've been using a wire brush, anything work better?

Also whats the best method for finishing a Plateaux pipe? Do you neglect all sanding on the top and just hit it with trip,White diamond and wax it?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Before I started blasting, I used a wire brush attached to one of my buffing heads, abd it did a pretty good job. Blasting does the best job for me.

No need ot sand the plateaux, but make sure you get *all* of the bark off. On a stained pipe, it will come off later and tell on you. :D

Rad
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I use a wire brush mounted to a buffing arbor. 1750 rpm. Works great. Wear eye protection of course.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

The hand brush has worked but I'm finding it hard to get it all off. Thanks for the suggestions. Never considered using a dremel or chucking a brush wheel up.
flix

Post by flix »

You might try carefully picking at what you can't get off with the brush. A dental type pick or something like it should do the trick. I'm using an electronics assembler's pick for my final plateaux work.
BD

Post by BD »

I use a small wire wheel on the Dremel and follow up with a dental pick for the hard to reach parts. Works well for me.

Bill
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

The best way is to lightly sandblast it off at about 30 pounds of pressure. Otherwise a light hand and a wire wheel will work. Blasting does not leave any marks.