Blast from the past

General pipe discussion
Tyler
Site Supporter

Blast from the past

Post by Tyler »

I'm not sure how I stumbled on this, but I found my original web page that I posted my earliest work on. It is on my father-in-laws website (which I made for him many years ago), and I had no idea was still there.

http://www.micrope.com/beardfamily/pipe_old.htm

Nice, eh?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tyler
Frank

Post by Frank »

Wow! Pipe 12 has been reserved since July 2002. Hang in there, Tyler. I'm sure he'll be back for it. :lol:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Very cool blast from the past. Some pretty good work even in the beginning. The #12 was really nice.
Dave-
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Yeah...I reserve pipes for LONG time.

Pipe 9 was my first sale. I'd almost forgotten about that pipe.

Pipe 7 is the pipe that is now for sale on Mike Glukler's Briar Blues. I ended up blasting it because I had it with me on a trip that provided me an opportunity to experiment with blasting. (Never miss a chance to experiment!) After blasting it I went to a pipe meeting that night and a guy there talked me into selling to him. Next thing you know *POOF* an experiment sold in Dallas, TX is up for sale on a website in Canada and becomes the earliest example of your work available to the public!

I oughtta go through that pile of photos and critique all of them. I can just rip them to shreds since I know the maker won't be offended by it and it might be helpful to new folks since those are fairly prototypical new maker pipes.

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Tyler wrote:I oughtta go through that pile of photos and critique all of them. I can just rip them to shreds since I know the maker won't be offended by it and it might be helpful to new folks since those are fairly prototypical new maker pipes.
An excellent idea. I always regard critiquing by experienced pipemakers as a very helpful tutorial.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
Nick

Post by Nick »

ROFL! That's great Tyler!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Blast from the past

Post by KurtHuhn »

We all start somewhere. :)

My second pipe:
http://www.loneadmin.com/images/uglypipe1.jpg

Was one of those awful blocks of briar that had a big flaw, so I just kept going without really understanding what I was doing.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Re: Blast from the past

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:My second pipe:
http://www.loneadmin.com/images/uglypipe1.jpg
Was one of those awful blocks of briar that had a big flaw, so I just kept going without really understanding what I was doing.
ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol: Holy Crap!!!!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

:D

I think I still have that (expletive deleted) pipe somewhere.

*rummages around in boxes*

Ugh... Here it is. I can't believe I... wait a second... OMGWTFBBQ!!! I actually smoked this thing?!!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote::D
I think I still have that (expletive deleted) pipe somewhere.
*rummages around in boxes*
Ugh... Here it is. I can't believe I... wait a second... OMGWTFBBQ!!! I actually smoked this thing?!!
I believe this pipe just begs for some positive critiquing:
1. Artistic "underbulge" of the bowl.
2. Nice thick shank to avoid the ever present danger of "shank burn out".
3. The well designed gap between shank & stem to prevent heat transfer to the stem.
4. The stem "uptilt" to allow a good view of what's going on inside the bowl.
5. The aerodynamic slope to the back of the bowl allowing for reversing at speed in a convertible while smoking said pipe.
6. The low bowl profile, allowing you to glare over the rim at people criticising your pipe art.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

My first pipe from a kit ended up looking like a munchkin's pipe. The bowl was maybe as big as my thumb when it was finished. I had really no clue whatsoever what I was doing(even though I had read and re-read the PIMO book!) and I just kept grinding and grinding on that piece of wood. That pipe I no longer have, unfortunately.... or maybe that's a good thing?? lol..
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ROFL!!

I actually sprayed coffee onto my desk while trying to hold back the laughter. You know, when I get home tonight, I'm going to stuff some old Cobb Flake or something in that pipe and smoke it again.

Actually that pipe serves as a pretty good example of every newbie mistake ever made. :) It also serves as a reminder that your friends are not the best choice for critique of your work. Responses ranged from "I think it's neat" to "That looks like the pipe that X was smoking in that photograph" and "I like it". I'm going to go show them this again and see what the reaction is now. Maybe make them squirm a bit. :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

The guy that got me into pipes to begin with was pretty brutal when I showed him my "munchkin" pipe. He straight out asked "what's this supposed to be?? A pipe!?!?!".