COMPLETELY off topic, but cool nonetheless

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

COMPLETELY off topic, but cool nonetheless

Post by KurtHuhn »

I just finished this up a few minutes ago:

This was an incredibly nice diversion. I had loads of fun making it, and learned a hell of a lot about metallurgy in the process. In true pipe maker form, I tossed out the first two attempts due to flaws in the materials. Attempt 1 cracked during heat treating when I tried water quenching instead of oil. Attmempt 2 developed strange fractures at the tip when it was queched in brine. By the time I got to this one, I decided to forget the experimentation and go back to oil.

Let me know what you think.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Nice workmanship, but... where does the tobacco go? And wouldn't a stem that sharp cut the smoker's lips and tongue?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I warned ya - completely off topic.

Relation to tobacco? Hmm. I'd say, that a particularly discriminating smoker might choose such a tool for slicing off a bit of plug or rope tobacco. Yeah, that's it. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Beautiful. Nice clean lines. Lovely colouring to the horn.

OK, so what was that bullshit story you gave us in a previous post about trying your hand at knifemaking some time ago and not feeling up to the task? :twisted:
Wasn't it you who told me even Masamune started out by chopping charcoal? :roll: Uh.... maybe not.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
flix

Post by flix »

Very nice, Kurt! I'd love to carve up an elk with that! ;)
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

You ought to make a "plug and rope knife" for smokers who like the Gawith old-timey tobaccos. Find a pattern by looking through Ebay---they used to be common as dirt---and modernize and Kurtify it a bit. Park it on your site and see what happens.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Frank wrote: OK, so what was that bullshit story you gave us in a previous post about trying your hand at knifemaking some time ago and not feeling up to the task? :twisted:
Heh. :) Well initial attempts were about 7 or 8 years ago. I blame the exuberance of youth for my failings back then. Making a knife (or pipe, or furniture, or guitar, or anything for that matter) requires patience, and only as I get older have I developed any.
Wasn't it you who told me even Masamune started out by chopping charcoal? :roll: Uh.... maybe not.
You know, I'll bet he did. Nobody is born with that kind of knowledge. Which brings me back to what I touched on above.

I always used to find it odd that the Japanese have such strange opinions of age and experience. On more than one occasion I've seen (on Japanese broadcasts) someone in their late 20s say something like "When I grow up....". In this country, someone in their late 20s is expected to be a fully productive member of society. I used to think "What?! You *are* grown up!". The Japanese, however, seem to cling to the old ideas of long apprenticeship and experience before they can be considered fully knowledgeable in any given area. I used to find that very strange, but as I get older, I understand the thought process behind it. It might not be that youthful people don't have the knowledge, it's just that they lack the patience and thoughtfulness to put it to use.

Obviously, there are exceptions, and that isn't true for everyone. But I think it's a good generalization. For instance, I first read Wayne Goddard's books about 8 years ago. But I didn't actually *understand* them until some time in October/November of this past year.

Or maybe that's just me. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Im gonna keep my reply short and sweet. That knife is coool!!
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Kurt, that is very nice. When you said you made knives; I wasn't quite sure how far you really went. That is darned impressive!
Dave-
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

That knife makes me want to kill something!

Which means I like it...! :D
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Wow, very nice. What kind of steel is that? Is it some sort of sandwiched steel (quasi Damascus)? Or is the coloration the result of a heat treating process?
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Where the hell ya put the tobacco????? :lol:
Last edited by LexKY_Pipe on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks, everyone! This particular knife is going to an established knife maker in a trade, and for constructive criticism. I hope to learn quite a bit!
pierredekat wrote:Wow, very nice. What kind of steel is that? Is it some sort of sandwiched steel (quasi Damascus)? Or is the coloration the result of a heat treating process?
It's the heat treating. It's been heat treated with a clay coating similar to the way traditional Japanese smiths do. Then, after sanding the blade through 2000 grit by hand, I gave it a couple quick etches in ferric chloride with some scrubbing with Norton synthetic steel wool in between.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com