Stem replacement

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
Nick

Stem replacement

Post by Nick »

How does one go about putting a new stem on a pipe without sanding away too much of the shank? Is it as simple as simply sanding it down to the right shape/size while not attached to the pipe? Or is there some trick I'm missing? I've thought about putting tape around the shank at the end of the process in order to protect it. Presuming I wouldn't sand away the tape, would this work?

Thanks,

NJ
ToddJohnson

Re: Stem replacement

Post by ToddJohnson »

Nick wrote:How does one go about putting a new stem on a pipe without sanding away too much of the shank? Is it as simple as simply sanding it down to the right shape/size while not attached to the pipe? Or is there some trick I'm missing? I've thought about putting tape around the shank at the end of the process in order to protect it. Presuming I wouldn't sand away the tape, would this work?

Thanks,

NJ
That's the way some pipe repairmen I know do it. Painter's masking tape and a 600 grit wheel. Go very slowly.

Todd
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool idea!

Thanks!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Now thatys somthing I hadn't thought of. Mark the face of the stem with the apropriate size and then sand away until you hit that mark. From that point you could probably reinsert the stem ad do the finish work.