Another new pipe ...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hollywood

Another new pipe ...

Post by hollywood »

I just put the finishing touches on my new pipe tonight. I'm excited about this one. It's my 1st time using this new rustication method. I tried it out on some scrap, but my nerves were kicking in high gear when I hit it on the real deal. I think it turned out great! I also got thin enough on the stem to scare myself. Much better look.

I noticed a few things after I had finished her up and took some pictures. I see a few more marks on the stem; on the downslope of the saddle, that need to come out. I need to re-sand inside the bowl(got some stain around the inner edge). I tried to get a flat spot on the bottom to put a stamp, but I should have done this before rusticating it there. It put a small ridge there.

Let me know what you think.

The Deutscher:

Height: 2.25
Length: 6.00
Width: 1.80
Chamber Diameter: 1.00
Chamber Depth: 1.35
Weight: 62g
Grade:

Hand cut Ebonite stem. Rose acrylic extension. Dark finish on this deep rustication.

Dave-
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

It looks great! Shape, colour, rustication... I like it all!
Great job!

Domagoj
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Another nice one, hollywood.

I love the rustication, though you might want to reconsider the use of a direct flash when you're photographing your pipes. The direct flash makes this particular pipe look like some kind of gooey gore out of a scifi movie. And I'm sure it's much, much more attractive in person. :wink:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nice one, Dave.

I have a couple suggestions that might help you take the next one to a higher level.

The stem looks nice and thin (good work!), but so does the button. This can be a difficult balancing act - how thin to take the button for comfort, and yet leave enough to support the thin stem and give something to wrap your teeth around. Since we're making stems thinner and thinner these days, there's a real danger of splitting one if the button isn't big enough. Take a look at the saucer Rad just posted:
viewtopic.php?t=2973&start=0
And take a look at the size of his button. That's basically the size you want to shoot for.

Personally, I would like to the round portion of the stem slightly larger in diameter. This part walks the line between subjective and "what is right" about a pipe. I actually didn't notice it at first, and only when I really started looking did it hit me. Again, see Rad's pipe. :)

I like the shank end cap. The diameter looks a little lare, but I think that's only because I think the stem should be larger diameter. This s not a huge problem though, and again I didn't really see it at first. I just noticed that it's actually acrylic - that must have been a pain to shape. Kudos for grabbing something unusual to try.

One thing I notice is that this pipe is *huge*. Well, by my standards anyway. I'll bet it could be smoked all day on one load of flake tobacco.

Overall, I think it's a good pipe. You're definitely getting the hang of this.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I like it. Cool rustication. I haven't had the guts yet to rip into the surface of a pipe I just finished shaping (and there's a couple I should have!).

What stood out to me was the stem. It seemed too light for the size of the shank (the balance thing again?). The diameter where it meets the ring could have been larger when you see it against the large shank. It just doesn't transition well to the stem. May just me me though.

The rest of the pipe is highly reflective, yet the stem has a luster instead of a shine. I would think that the stem would look better when polished to look more like black glass.

Nice job!
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! That's what I want to hear!!

Robert, I'm having a heck of a time taking good pictures with my current camera set-up. I have a makeshift light box, but it isn't really well lit. The shinier I get the finishes, the harder they are to photograph. I might just try natural sunlight today. The sun has finally returned!

Kurt,

* I do have to agree that the stem looks great this thin. It's the most uncomfortable I have ever been doing one; so i must be close to where it needs to be. :wink: I think it may be just a little too thin with the size of the pipe. I also agree that the button is just to small. I got just a little carried away and haven't figured out how to put material back once I rip it off. I still don't have my lathe ready because I need more hands to help get it in the shop and bolt it all down.

* I would also like to see the round part of the stem larger. I like it now, but if I could get one very similar to the ones Rad makes; it would take it just another notch higher.

* The end cap is just too easy. I found these acrylic discs at a local hobby shop. I can't take credit for that one. But I do love how it fit the pipe and matches the finish. I think a bigger stem diameter would make it look just right.

* You know that they say about a man with a big pipe!?! 8)
Dave-
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

hollywood wrote: * You know that they say about a man with a big pipe!?! 8)
What? Something about making up for something else ...? :lol: (JK!)
Cool pipe!
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

kkendall wrote:
hollywood wrote: * You know that they say about a man with a big pipe!?! 8)
What? Something about making up for something else ...? :lol: (JK!)
Cool pipe!
:lol:

They have big socks! :wink:
Dave-
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

hollywood wrote: * The end cap is just too easy. I found these acrylic discs at a local hobby shop. I can't take credit for that one. But I do love how it fit the pipe and matches the finish. I think a bigger stem diameter would make it look just right.
You're kidding! That's it, I'm stopping on the way home to take a look and see what they have.

Is it the same thing they say about guys that drive huge 4x4s?

/me looks around sheepishly, tries to distract you from looking at the pickup truck
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:
Is it the same thing they say about guys that drive huge 4x4s?
Sounds like the same thing they say about the wannabe cowboys with the enormous belt buckles! :twisted: AND, they like to drive oversized 4x4's. Hmm... come to think of it, that IS more useful than 2 arseholes.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

KurtHuhn wrote:You're kidding! That's it, I'm stopping on the way home to take a look and see what they have.
hope you hurry. looks like they discontinued that piece! i got the last bag at my Hobby Lobby this afternoon. sucks 'cause they had two other colors before that now i wish i would have picked up. doh!

i did pick up something else to experiment with on my next pipe though. could be a miracle time saver. we shall see.
Dave-
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I miss Hobby Lobby. When I lived in Ohio, there were two within a half hour of me, now there's just Linens and Things here in RI - which is okay, but they don't carry a lot of what Hobby Lobby does. And Michaels and AC Moore are jokes.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Heya Dave! Great looking pipe. Nice job on the stem. You really did a nice job. The endcap seem to be a bit oversized to my taste, but this was already mentioned. How did you rusticate the pipe? Its a neat finish.