I need your advice please -

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
hollywood

I need your advice please -

Post by hollywood »

I've got this pipe I'm working on and just can't figure out where to go from here. I've run into some briar flaws that "may" come out; but if they don't i risk losing the shape. I know this will happen 100s of times over the years, but it's hard to make the call this time.

Do I keep sanding? Do I rusticate?

How do you make the call and just move on?

Thanks for any light you can shed for me.

Dave

Dave-
flix

Post by flix »

I vote for rusticate. Too many large flaws, it'll look a lot better "rough".
Frank

Post by Frank »

I could be mistaken, but the 2 large flaws on the right ("flat") side of the bowl look as if the go all the way through to the rear (shank) side of the bowl. It doesn't look as if sanding more will help. Rusticating might work, but it doesn't look like it will be a "seller".

A real shame, it looks like it was shaping up nicely.

After the other lengthy discussion on asymmetrical designs, I was wondering if the "S" shaped shank/stem shouldn't be curved in the other direction? Those with an "eye", let me know if I'm talking through my hat.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I say for practice sake, refine your shape and ignore the flaws. If you use black for your first stain, it'll camoflage the flaws somewhat. Little flaws don't bug me much, and bigger ones don't discourage me from completing a smooth pipe if I like the grain. I'm not selling them anyway. I think the obsession with a flawless pipe is overrated. I've only rusticated a few pipes where the grain was just dull. Maybe some day, I'll be more picky about spending too much time on flawed briar, because it's not "worth" much on the market.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Are you giving this pipe to some one? If its just for you, screw it. Flaws won't hurt. If the pipe is for some one else, see if you can't find some one who'll blast it for you. I wouldn't rusticate that pretty grain for anything.

Nice shape btw!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

kbadkar wrote:I say for practice sake, refine your shape and ignore the flaws.
There is always that...especially if it's something you were intent on SHAPING moreso than simply completing for the sake of making "a pipe".

As far as rusticating, though, man do it up! Maybe I'm nuts or have a skewed pipe perspective, but it's possibly my most favorite way for a pipe to be finished if it's done well. I love me a smooth pipe, too, but a good rustication job sings to me.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

I would almost be willing to bet that the flaws I've circled are connected.

hollywood

Post by hollywood »

the more I look at it; the more I think you guys are right about those flaws being connected. Now ..... where the hell is my uncle when I need him!?!? He's got a blasting cabinet, but he isn't answering his phone! :?
Dave-
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

What, those little things? pfffft.

If you're not opposed to super glue, I would put a drop of super glue in them and stain the whole pipe dark (like black/brown) to match.

If you are opposed to super glue, then perhaps rusticate the flat, since that's where the spots appear to be the worst, leave the rest of the pipe smooth, and stain the whole pipe dark (black/brown) to match.

Magnificent looking pipe, though.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Is this the kind of finish you were talking about, Robert?

Not bad, but blasting may still be the answer.

Dave-
flix

Post by flix »

Dave,
After seeing all stained/dyed up like that and all, I've changed my mind. I think you might just get away with rusticating just the flat, as was mentioned. I like it already with the stain/dye job much better than it was bare.
--Michael
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Yeah, that's pretty close. Very nice.

As far as sandblasting is concerned, I guess, whatever you think. That's one of the cool things and also the not-so-cool things about being your own boss: you have to be the one to make the decisions. :lol:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hell, that looks great to me! Just light the bastard up and go with it! I mean, who cares? You made this bad boy with your own two hands. That's what's important. Not that the briar is flawless. If that were the case then you'd be spending a buttload of cash on briar.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Ixnay on the andblast-say. Those flaws will open up and a quarter of the pipe will disappear. It all depends on the pipe's destination. If it stays with you, it's fine now. If you want to sell it, that's different. Faced with the same situation, I'd try changing the shape. You've got some extra material on that corner; if you made it into an egg shape and made the right side match the left you'd have a smooth, egg-shaped sort of a tadpole, or, erm, something like that. Of course, you might cut into something even worse. But you can't get too attached to a shape, there's always another block.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

JHowell wrote:Ixnay on the andblast-say. Those flaws will open up and a quarter of the pipe will disappear. It all depends on the pipe's destination. If it stays with you, it's fine now. If you want to sell it, that's different. Faced with the same situation, I'd try changing the shape. You've got some extra material on that corner; if you made it into an egg shape and made the right side match the left you'd have a smooth, egg-shaped sort of a tadpole, or, erm, something like that. Of course, you might cut into something even worse. But you can't get too attached to a shape, there's always another block.
wow. thanks for the input. that would have set me off to have that corner just fly off under the spray.

it actually started as an egg. had it all shaped, but ran into even bigger fissures. came up with this to take advantage of the grain, but now ...

guess it's back to the sander!
:twisted:
Dave-