buffing the inside of the stem button and tenon

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
timothy thorpe

buffing the inside of the stem button and tenon

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi guys, i'm assuming to do this a need a rounded small dremull buffing wheel? just wondering,

thanks,tim
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Take a pipe cleaner, fluffy type, and load it up with buffing compound. I load it up by laying the pipe cleaner on a flat surface and rubbing the compound into it right from the stick. Chuck the pipe cleaner into your drill press or lathe headstock and set the machine to its lowest speed. Feed the cleaner into your stem and turn the drill press/lathe on. The pipe cleaner should spin freely(most time) within the airway of your stem and from there you can lean it this way and that to buff not only the button but the entire airway. Hope that makes sense.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Yep, that's what I do too.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

hazmat wrote:Take a pipe cleaner, fluffy type, and load it up with buffing compound. I load it up by laying the pipe cleaner on a flat surface and rubbing the compound into it right from the stick. Chuck the pipe cleaner into your drill press or lathe headstock and set the machine to its lowest speed. Feed the cleaner into your stem and turn the drill press/lathe on. The pipe cleaner should spin freely(most time) within the airway of your stem and from there you can lean it this way and that to buff not only the button but the entire airway. Hope that makes sense.
THANKS!! that makes sense
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

excellent question. and a simple, but perfect answer!! glad somebody asked it.
Dave-
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

This forum is the bomb
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com