Beefsteak Tomato Surprise

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hollywood

Beefsteak Tomato Surprise

Post by hollywood »

Here's is my latest pipe venture. A great friend of mine has been really wanting me to make him a pipe to run through testing and add to his rotation. I had told him I would love to do it at some point, but didn't know when I would get to it.

I was speaking to him a couple nights ago about what shapes and sizes he was interested in and he sort of settled on a ball/tomato as something he had been curious about.

Well; I took yesterday off from the office to clean house as my wife is out of town all week; and figured I would do a little work in the shop. Then it hit me. I had this block that I just couldn't decide what shape would work with the grain it was showing ... until now. I sketched out the shape and went to town. Here she is ....

Beefsteak Tomato:

Length - 6.00
Height - 2.00
Width - 2.25
Chamber Diameter - .750
Chamber Depth - 1.50
Grade - ImageImage

I think she turned out pretty well. I see some stem touch-up sanding and buffing that I need to go back to. But other than that ... she's a beaut Clark! Needless to say he had no clue I was doing it and was pretty freaked when he saw the pics. Too bad he can't have it ........... at least until after Chicago. I hope you like it, too.
Dave-
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice shape! I really like the subtle reverse curve to the shank. Great job. The shank/stem joint needs some work, but you already know that. What happens to me all the time is that the stem face seems to protrude out slightly right around the stem. Drives me nuts. What i do is dab a bit of (kids) paint on the stem face and then put the pipe together. When you pull it apart, the paint will be on the shank where the stem face is touching. Sand these ares, lather, rinse repeat. Spit also works, but the paint works better. Yellow seems to be the easiest to use.
Gig

Post by Gig »

A great looking pipe Hollywood.
Cheers from downunder
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Cool pipe!
flix

Post by flix »

Awesome pipe, Dave! I like it a lot. How much does it weigh?
android

Post by android »

i agree with the cousin eddie quote! she is a beaut. nice work.
hollywood

Post by hollywood »

Thanks all. With a little touch up around the stem and stem/shank junction; she's ready to roll. I think this will be the first one I'm going to try a bowl coating on. I'll give it a go this afternoon and post a couple pics of the results.
Dave-