Rustication & sandblast "wet look"

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
LatakiaLover

Rustication & sandblast "wet look"

Post by LatakiaLover »

Such as Dunhill's Shell finish when new. Equally shiny in the crevices as well as the high spots, almost as if they have been dipped or sprayed.

I can get an excellent and equally attractive (to my eye) "shine up" when refurbing them, but it is subtly different--slightly shinier on the high spots. Anyone here able to replicate the wet look?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

yep... plug your ears, though, if you don't want to hear the :twisted: eeeevil :twisted: word. No, it's not "nee", it's shellac. RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!! :D
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ROFL!!!

I hate to say it, but that's the magic formula for long-lasting high shines of all kinds. Hell, it could even be lacquer. :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

hazmat wrote:yep... plug your ears, though, if you don't want to hear the :twisted: eeeevil :twisted: word. No, it's not "nee", it's shellac. RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!! :D
"You shall not pass!". :fencing:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

That's what I figured, too, but hoped maybe you guys knew of a something like a polished-bristle nylon buffing wheel that's used at slow speeds. Some tricky gadget that had escaped me. Shellac always seemed like a shortcut, so I don't mess with it much. (Contrast stains is about it, then only as a color "freezer.")

Thanks.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Truth be told, I have no idea what Dunhill uses. Could be the blood of baby seals for all I know.

There area few soft nylon brushes out there, but it always seemed to me that anything harder than a flannel buffing wheel would make a satin or matte finish rather than a shiny one. Best bet? Take a thick flannel wheel, turn the RPM down to 850 or so, and buff with rather hard pressure. It will get into all those nooks and crannies and shine them right up.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

just go at it with a clean toothbrush just like the time before you visit your dentist :P
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
ASB

Post by ASB »

Not sure if it's right or not, but in cleaning up estate blasts I use the Halcyon II http://www.finepipes.com/Halcyon/halcyon.htm with a little Dremel 403 brush (nylon 1") that seems to work pretty well. Of course I run it on the slowest speed my Dremel will go.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Buffing a rough pipe will just work buffing compound into the crevices, which looks like poo. You can do that with a wax wheel, then hit it with a heat gun, but that will just give an even sheen, not a gloss. I would guess most factories spray whatever they use. I think Todd once posted that old shellac 78 records worked really well (crushed and dissolved in alcohol) for dark rusticated finishes.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

JHowell wrote: I think Todd once posted that old shellac 78 records worked really well (crushed and dissolved in alcohol) for dark rusticated finishes.
:shock:

I can see the sales pitch now: Long-shanked rusticated billiard, Bing Crosby shape, imbued with actual essence of Bing himself! :lol:
Nick

Post by Nick »

ROFL!!!