Pipe # 5 Ball/Tomato

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

Pipe # 5 Ball/Tomato

Post by wdteipen »

Here's my latest pipe. Any and all feedback/criticism/advise is welcome.

kkendall

Post by kkendall »

Well done! Symmetry looks good.

The only thing that catches my eye - and it may just be optical gymnastics - is the stem/shank joint. Looking at the side shots, it doesn't appear to be perpendicular at the joint.
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Looks Great! I think the proportions are spot on. Well done.

Tsunami
www.kuzielpipes.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

kkendall wrote:Well done! Symmetry looks good.

The only thing that catches my eye - and it may just be optical gymnastics - is the stem/shank joint. Looking at the side shots, it doesn't appear to be perpendicular at the joint.
Yes, you're right kkendall. I'm still honing my stem/stummel skills. The stem fits snug with the shank but their is a gap between the white lucite and stem that you can't see in the pictures. I didn't notice it until after the epoxy dried. I masked it some with epoxy filler but it's still noticeable on close inspection. I was disappointed to find two good sized and one smaller pits develop once I got the shape where I wanted it to be so I tried my hand at filling. The fills turned out better than I expected for my first time. The smaller one is tough to spot but the other two are easy to spot but blend in decent. I mixed up some wood glue, briar dust, and clear lacquer for a filler and am fairly happy with the results. I'm guessing that combination has been used before. I'm having fun experimenting and trying new things.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

wdteipen wrote:... I mixed up some wood glue, briar dust, and clear lacquer for a filler ...
Have you tried briar dust and CA glue?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

What's CA glue? I'm not familiar.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Ah, yes. I thought about that but was concerned that the superglue would dry too fast. What are your thoughts? Does a superglue/briar dust mixture dry quickly?
Frank

Post by Frank »

wdteipen wrote:Ah, yes. I thought about that but was concerned that the superglue would dry too fast. What are your thoughts? Does a superglue/briar dust mixture dry quickly?
Don't sweat it, your method seems to have worked very well.
Very nice symmetry to the pipe.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Charl

Post by Charl »

Nice pipe, wonderfully executed!

I might be wrong, but for me personally the stummel and shank meets each other too sharply. I know people say that you have to cut "to the bone", but for me there is a limit.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks for the input fellas. Great observations and advice. My dissatisfaction with the gap between the stem and white lucite keeps this one off the market. I haven't decided if I want to smoke it or gift it to a friend. I don't mind flaws in the briar since, in large part, that is out of my control but I have to get better at facing my stems and treatments squarely.