Cutting a square shank?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Schubeck

Cutting a square shank?

Post by Schubeck »

Hey, I'm new to the forum. I had a question on cutting a square shank as ya'll probably noticed from the subject text. Is there any special technique on cutting them? What tools do ya'll usually use when doing this?

Thanks
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I don't know of any sure fire short cut for cutting a square shank, but perhaps you could try a router table or mill, if you're shooting for perfect 90s. Unlike a round shank, you can't use the lathe to get you started. So just use the usual non-lathe shaping tools - band saw (or coping saw), sanding disc or belt, dremel burrs, files, and sand-paper. Since you want square, a sanding disc or belt with a 90 deg. table/guide, and files will be most useful.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I typically just eyeball it when I'm doing rough shaping. If I'm using a factory molded stem that's square, I use that as a guide.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Schubeck

Post by Schubeck »

i'll try it out a few things and take some pictures to see what ya'll think. i've made a few pipes in the past, a couple of billards, but now im trying to venture off into doing some nicer pipes. Thanks for the info.