orientation of grain

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
pennsyscot

orientation of grain

Post by pennsyscot »

I have a large scrap of briar, cut off from making another pipe. The piece of briar is large enough to make a stummel and is free of obvious flaws. It will be difficult to use it if the grain is oriented vertically. If i make a pipe so that the gain runs horizontally (bird's eye on the side) will the pipe be weakened? Should i rusticate to disguise this? It would be a shame to throw such a nice chunk away. thanks, Scot
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Scott,

Grain orientation affects nothing but aesthetics.

Most of the old English classic shapes are cross grains like you're talking about. Not to mention the high grade Danish cross grains like the blowfish.

Rad
souljer

Post by souljer »

If you orient the pipe in the wood so that you get a display of birds-eye and grain structure, on the sides, top, bottom; wherever, you should leave it smooth.

This is usually one of the things all pipe-makers are striving for in one direction or another, and as Rad mentioned, high end pipe-makers are also shooting for this.

The other is vertical straight grain running up the sides of the bowl, similar to what you achieved with your firsts pipe, the bulldog.
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Personally, I try to get a nice cross-grain or birdseye in all my pipes, just because I prefer the look. I also feel they smoke better, what with the way the pores in the wood run, but I don't want to start an argument about that... :lol: