Turning different stem material

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Briarfox

Turning different stem material

Post by Briarfox »

Ok I started out turning stems with Lucite. I was really attracted to the cost and i liked the variety. I had one hell of a time trying to get a thin bit, in fact I never did. I then tried some cumberland that I was givin last christmas. It turned beautifully and I got a nice thin bit.

So after reading many posts on ABS I have it a try. It melts really easily when sanding but I have found that it's very soft in the mouth and I can really get a thin bit.

Now my problem is with turning it. I can't seem to get nice coves and beads on it. It tends to gouge in. Is this a problem others have had, is it just a tricky material? Or have I just not figured out the art of turning yet?
Frank

Re: Turning different stem material

Post by Frank »

Briarfox wrote:So after reading many posts on ABS I have it a try. It melts really easily when sanding but I have found that it's very soft in the mouth and I can really get a thin bit.?
I don't know what equipment you use for sanding, but for initial stock removal on my belt sander/grinder, I use the coarsest grit I can. When I'm close to final shape I move to finer grits. The melting problem is then minimal.
Briarfox wrote:Now my problem is with turning it. I can't seem to get nice coves and beads on it. It tends to gouge in. Is this a problem others have had, is it just a tricky material? Or have I just not figured out the art of turning yet?
I have turned tenons with the metal lathe, but I haven't tried freehand turning the stuff. I'll have a go experimenting, but I suck at freehand turning.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Re: Turning different stem material

Post by pierredekat »

Briarfox wrote:Now my problem is with turning it. I can't seem to get nice coves and beads on it. It tends to gouge in. Is this a problem others have had, is it just a tricky material? Or have I just not figured out the art of turning yet?
Yeah, ABS can be a little bit gougy. But I actually prefer the gouges to those chips you get with acrylic. At least with ABS the gouged area stays on your workpiece, instead of spraying up in your face like those acrylic chips tend to do.

I guess it's just a matter of having good sharp chisels, holding them tight, and taking your time.

And practice. Lots of practice.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Yeah I'm using a belt sander to get the rough shape. I also keep burning my fingers when I try to remove the melted mess! I thought maybe rough paper was not the answer to rough shaping the stem but it sounds like it works for you Frank, so I'll keep at it.

I'm guessing that it's my freehand that is sucking. On the plus side ABS is cheap, so I'll practice and practice some more.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

RPM may be an issue as well. If the material tends to gouge and catch tools, faster may be better. Of course, that will create more heat which may make it melt more, but it's worth a try.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The secret to hand turning anything is practice. Even when you get the hang of one material, you'll find that moving to another material may confound you - like Robert's findings on acrylic.

Even when it comes to wood, you have to watch it. If you're used to turning green woods for vases and bowls, trying to turn a hunk of briar is going to seem impossible.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Spence Pipes

Post by Spence Pipes »

I have not tried my hand at stems yet, but after reading about the heating problem, could you get a spray bottle with water and wet every so often to keep the material from heating?