"alternative" finish

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

"alternative" finish

Post by KurtHuhn »

This talk of Eltang's finish reminded me that I wanted to give a go at a finish of my own that was similar, but not the same as, the Golden Contrast.

Initial results were promising, and if I amp things up some, I think I might be on to something. It is, however, a bit of a "cocoa contrast". At best it's reminiscent of Eltang's finish, and in no way could be confused with his.

Anyone else been experimenting with dangerous and/or delicious chemicals? :)
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Researching, yes. Experimenting with, no. My mother-in-law is a chemist, and, with the safety of her grandchildren in mind, so far has nixed everything I've come up with as being either explosive, carcinogenic, or otherwise destructive to human cells. Most of the recipes date from a time when lead was a common ingredient in cosmetics. As she put it, we know better now. I corresponded for a while on the subject with a friend, an amateur clarinetist, who is head of organic chemistry at a state university. When I asked him about formulations for one of these preparations, he asked, "Are you out of your f*****g mind?" I'm not telling anyone what to do, other than to read the MSDS first. There may well be a food-grade process that creates an insoluble, uncompromising black but I haven't found it yet.
Frank

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:There may well be a food-grade process that creates an insoluble, uncompromising black but I haven't found it yet.
Does Fiebings Black and/or USMC Black not provide a pure black when applied to briar?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Frank

Post by Frank »

I'm not sure if any of these suggestions will work on briar, but it might be worth experimenting with a couple of them: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wo ... 29694.html
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jack, having small kids in the house, the most dangerous thing I have around is a jar of ferric chloride. I use it to etch knife blades, but I'm not certain that I want to use it on pipes. It's a "dangerous" chemical, but only so far as if you drink it. Skin contact has the disconcerting effect of turning your fingertips gray.

Frank, the vinegar recipe is well known, as is using tannin to create a contrast in wood. This is what I'm experimenting with - ungodly strong tea boiled and reduced, and vinegar. Results are promising, but I want more. I'm thinking that straight tannin from the homebrew store would allow me to get a much better contrast - and since I'm headed there today to pick up some lager yeast and a couple pounds of grain, I might as well grab some.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Y'know, I keep nitric acid (68 baume :shock: ), hydrochloric in the form of muriatic acid, ferric nitrate, and ferric chloride handy around the shop for various metal and wood finishing jobs, and I have been a bit gunshy about using them on briar.... Maybe I'll try the ferric nitrate on a scrap and see what happens. It's what I use to bring up the stripe in curly maple tomahawk handles and so on.

I've been meaning to make some ferric acetate (aka vinegaroon, aka vinegar and iron filings) to use on oak handles and leather, but the ferric nitrate turns oak black on contact so I haven't really needed it yet. Dunno how briar tannins will react, guess I need to do some mad scientist-type experimenting soon... :hot:
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Of course, there is always ammonia fuming too, if you're feeling adventurous... :twisted:
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I sense some more factory turned stummels will be falling victim to experiments in my Secret Squirrel Room.

The (Mad) Doctor will see you now! :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

TreverT wrote:Of course, there is always ammonia fuming too, if you're feeling adventurous... :twisted:
I didnt find that worked too well, it just kinda turned the bowl grey. Have you had any luck? If so how did you achieve it.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

IIRC (This was over six years ago), I got a really dark, rich brown color just by leaving a stummel in a sealed box with an open bowl of ammonia for some time, though I can't recall how long. I remember it as being attractive, but the ammonia smell permeated the wood so badly that it smelled terminally like a swimming pool for about a year afterward.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Well, the ferric nitrate was a disappointment. Got a nice deep reddish-brown like a curly maple gunstock, but buffing it down to get contrast took it all off. :( Back to the mad scientist's lair...