Interesting rustication

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Tano

Interesting rustication

Post by Tano »

Hi All,

I'm fascinated by this rustication, would anybody know how it's done.

All the best,
Tano
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Savinelli Capri?

I wish I knew. It's very cool.

Rad
Tano

Post by Tano »

Here is a larger picture of the same rustication.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3524 ... alllr9.jpg
All the best,
Tano
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I think it's a bundle-of-nails rustication followed by lots of wire wheel work to round the peaks and connect the depressions into valleys.
Källman

Post by Källman »

I get a somewhat similar effect with my wire wheel. Some of the valleys seem to be going almost vertically at the bottom, so id say wheel, definately. I saw a thread somewhere about creating a nails-o-death piece to be fitted into drills etc. Ill look around and see if i find it.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

It almost looks as if they carved deeper grooves in a somewhat random pattern and then rusticated with a nail tool followed by a buff with green tripoli. Wouldn't a wire wheel put small scratch marks in the briar?
RussAlan

Post by RussAlan »

I love that style of "coral" rustication as well. I have a feeling it is some modification to the typical "bunch-o-nails" tool. Either way..its a beautiful, very earthy and natural look
www.russalanpipes.com

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late, the cannons dont thunder, theres nothin' to plunder, Im an over [20] victim of fate...arriving to late"
Källman

Post by Källman »

Wouldn't a wire wheel put small scratch marks in the briar?
By wheeling it from different directions after you've nailed it you might get it right. Suppose you need a wheel with pritty long and perhaps softer wires. Im gonna try it on a pipe im working with atm. Ill put some pictures up in a couple of days.
Tano

Post by Tano »

I think that if it is a nail tool, the nails would have to be organized in different lengths to create the different depths, wouldn't you say?
If a special wheel is used, I would love to see a picture of it.
What about those paint stripping wheels, do you think that might work?
All the best,
Tano
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Källman wrote:I saw a thread somewhere about creating a nails-o-death piece to be fitted into drills etc. Ill look around and see if i find it.
I would be interested in seeing this. I know the bundle-o-nails I use is scary enough as a hand tool. A similar rig that could be mounted in a drill is something nightmares are made of!

:shock: :shock:

Tyler
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Tyler wrote:
Källman wrote:I saw a thread somewhere about creating a nails-o-death piece to be fitted into drills etc. Ill look around and see if i find it.
I would be interested in seeing this. I know the bundle-o-nails I use is scary enough as a hand tool. A similar rig that could be mounted in a drill is something nightmares are made of!

:shock: :shock:

Tyler
Hey Tyler,

I took a bundle o'nails once, slapped some duct tape around 'em and chucked 'em up in my lathe at low speed.

I came to my senses before I hurt myself.

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

LOL, Rad!

I have rusticated the palm of my hand a time or two when slipping off the stummel. (Yes, it hurts like hades!) If I'd have done that with the nails spinning in a lathe, I don't think I would still have that hand.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Wouldn't see the point in powering the nail tool. To break up the briar surface, the pressure and rotation forces are almost equal, and the technique requires constant adjustment of the angle to keep the nails engaged on a curved surface. I think I saw a photo sequence of a worker at one of the Italian factories doing a similar rustication. I know I saw it online, can't remember where. First there was some carving/gouging to create some topography, then the nail tool, then the wire brush.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

JHowell wrote:Wouldn't see the point in powering the nail tool.
Now see Jack, that's where you and I differ. You use common sense.

Rad
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

RadDavis wrote:
JHowell wrote:Wouldn't see the point in powering the nail tool.
Now see Jack, that's where you and I differ. You use common sense.

Rad
Cue derisive snort from my wife.

Jack
Källman

Post by Källman »

Hey Tyler,

I took a bundle o'nails once, slapped some duct tape around 'em and chucked 'em up in my lathe at low speed.

I came to my senses before I hurt myself.
Haha thats funny. I can imagine how it all happened. "ok we got some nails and some... umm.. duct tape here. lets do this"

Cant find the thread i promised you, but ill keep looking. Feel free to post any guides or pictures of your nail tools!