The South Bend has landed

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

The South Bend has landed

Post by KurtHuhn »

Finally, three days after arriving home with it, I pulled the South Bend 9" I got from Jack out of the back of the Jeep and got into the basement workshop. It's sitting on a workbench (actually an old solid wood surplus desk) I've dedicated to it, and is waiting to get bolted down. I just have to figure out where I want everything mounted, and I'll be off to the races. :rockon:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

Aah!! Finally, he comes over to the dark side. :twisted: Now we have him.

Kidding aside, you'll really enjoy it. When I first got mine I made loads of crap just for fun. Replaced all my plastic lever knobs with knurled stainless ones I made. You'll find plenty of uses besides pipe making.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Glad to hear it, Kurt.

Yeah, big old-school industrial machinery is a real joy to work with, tinker with, and to own. But definitely keep the Jet around for some freehand stuff, or dedicate it to a particular operation, or whatever.

Congratulations!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

pierredekat wrote:Glad to hear it, Kurt.

Yeah, big old-school industrial machinery is a real joy to work with, tinker with, and to own. But definitely keep the Jet around for some freehand stuff, or dedicate it to a particular operation, or whatever.

Congratulations!
I actually just ordered the spindle thread adapter that Jack posted a few threads down so that I could use one of my Oneway chucks on this lathe. I've got such an investment in jaws that it makes sense for me to keep everything the same. I will probably continue to use the Jet for everything involving pipes that need to be turned as well as drilled, and of course all the other woodturning I do. I don't think the SB is going to spin fast enough for me to comfortably use it to finish turn wood.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Pictures, we want pictures!

Congratulations, Kurt! I'll get a nice old lathe one of these days... :hungry:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

And pictures you shall have!

Well, one picture anyway. The workshop is still a disaster area from getting it all setup, but it's now ready to go.

I took off the motor that came with it and put on a Baldor motor I had laying around. I didn't have a drum switch, and didn't feel like going out to get one, so I used the Baldor since it had a conveniently built-in switch. That was a pain though, since the mount is 56-frame, and the Baldor motor is 48-frame. I had to modify the base of the Baldor motor some, but in the end it came out good.

I gave it a once over, filled all the reservoirs with machine oil, and got it all setup. Jack gave a leather belt and a poly belt, but I decided to use the leather belt for now. I may change my mind later. We'll see.

I also hacked together a belt tensioner using some 3/8" bolts bent to shape and a coupling nut. It works like a charm!

I also went through and tested everything. I'll say, when the backgears are engaged, this thing is s-l-o-w. Should be great for turning polyester and acrylic.

As soon as my spindle thread adapter gets here, I'll see what I can do with it. So far the only tooling I think I need is a cutoff tool holder since the tool holder is both right and a left hand handed. I suppose I'll be collecting change gears as well, just because.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

Oh my, that's beautiful, Kurt--thanks very much for the picture! <lathelust>An old lathe is going to have to happen here soon somehow. </lathelust>
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Nice job, Kurt. Was there not a tensioner rod on the countershaft frame? My apologies, it must be around here somewhere. There are some change gears in that little cardboard box under the blue stuff. I don't know how many, I never took them out. Have fun!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

No tensioner rod on the countershaft frame, but it's not a big deal at all. With all the miscellaneous stuff I have hanging around in the workshop I cobbled it together with ease. I just channeled MacGyver and used bits and pieces I found on my shelves. :)

I found those change gears, and it looks like there's enough there to do a ton of different threads. Whoever last ran the power feed must have been either cutting small threads or using a very small radius cutting tool - it was set for 128 TPI I think. I changed it out to a more useful 20 TPI. And in the process I learned how to do it. It wasn't until I fiddled and went through several iterations of "How is that possible?" (with increasing expletives) that I found the allen bolt that tightens the gear bracket. After I loosened that, everything fell into place - literally!

One oddity that I found is that the spindle seems to have been modified to MT-3. The specifications for Model C lathes say MT-2 on both head and tail stock, but this one is definitely not MT-2 in the spindle. The tail stock is MT-2, and I'm able to use my existing centers. Of course, I have no idea if it's actually MT-3 or not. One of these days I'll find a cheap MT-3 doohicky and see if it fits. Or make one. :)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

The SB headstock is some kind of proprietary taper, I think, definitely not MT2. Has to be big enough to take the adapter for 3C collets. The adapter/collar/drawbar sets are available, old ones on ebay or new imports from tools4cheap.

Usually change gears are just set up for a fine feed, which is useful 98% of the time.