Whole lathe of trouble

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Whole lathe of trouble

Post by kbadkar »

My wife's gonna clamp my manhood in the 3-jaw chuck and hit the power switch.

Here's the problem... I started with a motor arbor from Kurt and ended up with a metal lathe. I lowball bid on it, not expecting to win. Looks like I'm going shelf the buffing station project until the financial director forgets about this gaffe. And I'm going to have to clean out my parent's garage to set it up until I can build some sort of enclosure for it.

It's a Logan 10" x 24" "gear head" lathe, model 1875. I hope it's a deal @ $585, before tax and loading fees (JHowell?). At least then I can tell the boss that it was just too good to pass up.

Let me know if you can see or know of any "trouble spots" on these machines - so I know where to start tinkering. The motor is 230V, 3-phase, so I have to switch it out. I ordered the instuction/part manual from Logan already. Does anyone know a good source for a tool post and which type to look for? How about a forum for old American lathes, so I can get a little edjumacation before I dive in? Any other advice for an anxious metal lathe newbie?
Frank

Post by Frank »

I get most of my shop stuff from these guys: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM
Most of their stuff you have the choice of USA made or less expensive import. If you know what to look for, then ebay (your goolies nemesis :twisted: ) is also a good place to look for some stuff.

I'm sure Jack can advise the other stuff.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

So far for forums, I've found the practical machinist forum, machinists web with a Logan section, and yahoo's Logan Lathe users group. Are there any other useful sites?
Last edited by kbadkar on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

kbadkar wrote:Are there any other useful sites?
How about this one.

:lol:
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

pierredekat wrote: How about this one.

:lol:
Yeah, great idea! I better order and have it delivered before I break the news. :wink:
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Very nice, you're right in the strike zone as far as a lot of machine for a reasonable price. They don't say if it works, but it looks like another school machine; I'd guess they got several lathes from the same school. I can't tell from looking if it's been crashed, but the contactor cover being off is a bit worrisome. Now, you might just want to switch the motor, BUT, have an electrician look at it first. Some of these machines came with multi-tap motors that can be wired several different ways, for different phase and voltage. If the motor is good, instead of replacing it you could add a variable frequency drive for the same or less money and have variable speed and much smoother drive.

You're going to get to know this machine intimately, might as well start reading the lathe groups. : )
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Thanks for the tips! I'll take a close look at the motor before I consider replacing it. I hope it isn't crashed. The listing says "nice", as opposed to "not so nice", which is what I'd call somthing that didn't run... and the listing says "bidders are encouraged to visit our facility to check out this machine first hand... under power". Of course, these statements could just be their standard "form" for auctions. It is hard to imagine plugging in the machine without a plug.
Frank

Post by Frank »

JHowell wrote:If the motor is good, instead of replacing it you could add a variable frequency drive for the same or less money and have variable speed and much smoother drive.
Variable speed is a great option, if the 3 ph motor works.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett