wax on pipe melting??

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Schubeck

wax on pipe melting??

Post by Schubeck »

I recently bought a few pipes with the intentions of refurbishing them. This one churchwarden in particular has been a problem in doing this. I scuffed it down with 500 grit sandpaper, and then I put a nice dark mahogany stain on it. After that, I put a shine to it with my buffing wheel and Carnauba wax. Well, when I started smoking it, the bowl got extremely hot due to the fact of the thin walls of the pipe, but it seemed as though the wax melted off of the pipe because it started sizzeling and getting stickey. After the pipe cooled down, the stickyness went away and all that was left were a few dull spots where the shine had went away. Can a pipe get so hot it melts the wax, or do I need to look deeper into the problem maybe of the wood beign contaminated by some sort of sap or chemical. Thanks for any help on this.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, if it got hot enough to sizzle, no wax on earth is going to stay on there. I think you smoked that pipe too hot, and that's the side effect.

Got photos to share? There might be something evident from them.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
azpipesmoker

Post by azpipesmoker »

:shock: Does your tongue feel ok? I agree with Kurt, I think you were smoking way too hot.