Making Bulldog pipes...help

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Schubeck

Making Bulldog pipes...help

Post by Schubeck »

Does anyone have any good photos of how to make a bulldog shape, or any step by step instructions on techniques? Techniques on cutting the rings in the bowl.. ect. I cant seem to get the shank cut properley on my bent bulldog that I am trying to make. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

For bulldogs, you may find it helpful to start with a preform stem. That way you can get a feel for how the whole thing goes together with regard to the shank and stem.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of bulldog shapes look best when the shank and stem taper as a unit - meaning that the shank is thicker near the bowl than it is where it meats the stem. A shank that doesn't taper can appear too skinny.

For rings, there's really no secret. The best tool for that job is a lathe. That's not to say it can't be done otherwise, you just have to carefully lay it all out and use a tool you're comfortable with. I think I recall reading a post a few years ago where someone shoved the bowl onto a dowel rod and carefully used a dremel to scribe the ring while rotating the stummel.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:Also, keep in mind that a lot of bulldog shapes look best when the shank and stem taper as a unit - meaning that the shank is thicker near the bowl than it is where it meats the stem. A shank that doesn't taper can appear too skinny.
Interesting point. It would never have occurred to me that the diamond shank is tapered, but after looking closely at a couple of bulldogs, I see what you mean. Very slight taper, but it makes all the difference.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Schubeck

Post by Schubeck »

thanks for the reply. I'll keep that in mind. I just need to learn to keep the piece straight when cutting the shank on my band saw. You can ruin one quick that way.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Oh, I don't even bother with the bandsaw there. I use the belt grinder to shape the shank. Less chance of foul-up, and it's more controllable.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com