Bad Briar II

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RadDavis

Bad Briar II

Post by RadDavis »

This is a piece of Mimmo's briar:

Looks like it has great potential for a nice flame grain smooth or ring grain blast billiard, doesn't it?

Well:

This was a $50.00 block. Shit happens.

Fortunately, I only average about 1 or two of these per year. This is one of the more spectacular ones. It sure does suck.

BTW, one of those holes is *supposed* to be there. :lol:

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wow, that *is* rather spectacular. Bad luck.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

If you only get one or two like that a year you're favored. My last order just about ate me alive. Out of one run of ten blocks I lost six to huge flaws. And these were the best blocks of the order, not the little weird ones.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Wow, that's tough luck. I've been pretty lucky so far but I don't want to jinx myself so I won't say so.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I hope you've contacted Mimmo to let him know. ;)

I ran into one several years ago (there have been many since, to be clear) that was large enough that I could actually fit a marble in it. I put it aside for a year or so as a shop spectacle. Then I realized that I could shape a much smaller pipe out of it after all. Smooth, no less. I think I made $800 on that save. If only they were all so.

Don't worry about that flaw, though, Rad. Just slap some bowl coat in it and no one will be the wiser. :lol:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

jeff wrote:Don't worry about that flaw, though, Rad. Just slap some bowl coat in it and no one will be the wiser. :lol:
That's what my wife said about this one:

I actually did end up covering it with bowl coating and finishing the pipe one sunday afternoon, and nobody is the wiser. It sits in my rack though, and it smokes like a dream (just finished a bowl full of Krumble Kake):

The pipe will probably outlast me....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

you need to X-ray the blocks to avoid such flaws and who have the time or money to do that. Mimmo can´t garantie the inside of the blocks but it´s sad it happens. Some days are lucky ones other is expensive. I have had 4 blocks this week 3 last week, but the blocks will heat my house instead so that is something good about it. :lol: