Auction Find

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Smitty

Auction Find

Post by Smitty »

Took my son to a home auction and was looking to bid on some hand tools and clamps. I wound up bidding on a garage WALL of stuff for $40.
This was burried under a bench. I cleaned it up and put it on a newer board and relaoced the belt, with one from the auction of course. It started right up! :D I am probably going to make a polishing station out of it.
I did pretty good on the sale. Got a real old hand drill and a kerosen brass blowtorch. a lot of old hand tools that I can use.
azpipesmoker

Post by azpipesmoker »

Great deal! 40 bucks for a WALL of stuff. I better start looking for auctions to go to.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I have one just like that from a flea market. Before you cleaned it up, was there oil all over everything? If so, that might limit its usefulness as a buffer, unless you make some shields to catch the oil.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

It was covered in a bunch of crud from sitting under a work bench for God knows how long. I put a bit of oil on the shafts to free them up before I started it. And a few spritsz of WD40 for good measure. Nothing flinging off or anything.
AZ check yer local papers for these things, they are a hoot. It is like live EBay! It took about an hour and a half to auction off the house and contents, pretty fast paced. This one sold sections of tables of stuff at a time, unkess a bidder wanted to bid on just one item they wanted. I got one of the walls in the garage, A lady bid just on the guys work bench and a cabinet full of coffee cans of screws and nails on the wall I won. She really wanted just the cans. :? I got a lot of crap too, The guy who died, I don't think he bought anything after 1972, judging by what I saw. I got a box of really old aluminum pots and pans and gave them to the guy who bid against me, he runs a Catholic Charity home and needed them. And gave a crowbar to a neighbor that need one. Good fun.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Great buy for the price.
If you're going to use that grinder as a buffer, you might want to flip it around (180 deg.) since you won't need the tool rests. Then, cut the end of the board off flush with the edge of the mounting lugs. You will then have clearance under your buffing wheels, all the way down to the ground.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I found an attachment where I can put the Tripoli wheel and polishing wheel on one side and still keep the grinding wheel on the other. I had a need for one of those anyway and way too little space. Works good so far.