Ref.. tenon cutting tool...question...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Patrick

Ref.. tenon cutting tool...question...

Post by Patrick »

Seek advise on which tenon cutting tool would you recommend?
I am looking for several choices of the ones that work well.
Also where can I obtain them?
Does anyone have one for sale either used or new in good working
order?
Thanks, Patrick
alan

Post by alan »

PIMO.com and jhlowe.com both sell a tenon cutting tool. If you don't have a lot of money to spend the pimo tool does the job. Someone else will have to write about the jhlowe part since I don't have a lot of money. Or a lathe. *sigh* After doing my first couple of stems with a file and sandpaper I love the pimo tool. I just slap it in the hand drill I have strapped to my bench, and am very pleased with the job it does when compared to my earlier efforts.
Last edited by alan on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

If money is an issue, the PIMO tenon turning tool is the way to go. It does a good job. It's only real setback as far as I can see is that the adjustment is a bit wobbly and it takes a little extra effort to get a precise sized tenon. Not a big deal once you get used to using it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've never used the JH Lowe tool, but I have heard it's significantly more accurate than the PIMO tool. However, the PIMO tool is quite capable of cutting stem tenons when used right.

Personally, in the absence of a metal lathe, I'd rather use delrin tenons, but that's just me. Tim also sells the delrin tenons pre-cut, and I've been toying with offering them as well.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com