Tapered Drill Bit?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
FredS

Tapered Drill Bit?

Post by FredS »

With only 5 pipes under my belt, I'm still committed to using molded stems because I want to concentrate most of my efforts on the tools & techniques for shaping the briar. That said, I plan to re-work the stems for a better draw using a 5/32" (4mm) drill bit.

My question is about tapered bits. Exactly what do they look like?

I spent the first 15 years of my working life as a machinist/tool maker, so I've ground hundreds of tools and I'm sure I can make one, but I'm not sure what you mean when you speak of a tapered bit. Is it tapered from a point out to the full diameter over a length of 1/2" or 3"? Is it even tapered all the way to a point at all? I suppose if you have a pilot hole (as my molded stems do) then a pointed drill would work, but it wouldn't work well blind drilling holes. Rotating tools tend not to cut well at their center anyway because the surface speed is essentially zero.

Anybody have a pic?
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You can see WL Fuller bits here:
http://ds5.org/1390

Jamestown distributors is the only retailer any more that I'm aware of. I do not know if there are other manufacturers of taper point drill bits. McMaster-Carr does carry something called a "taper length drill bit", but I have no idea if it's the same thing.

I drill the initial hole with my taper bits with no problems. They cut really well.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

No, it does not taper to a single point. It has a very small cutting tip just under 1/16" wide. The length of the taper is the full length of the flutes, 3". Overall length is 5 1/2". - - - Meaurements taken from a 9/64" bit, HSS.

As an experienced machinist, you shouldn't have trouble grinding your own. A heck of a lot cheaper than buying a Fuller one.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
FredS

Post by FredS »

Easy 'nuf. Thanks guys.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

You can also get a set at HD or Lowes. They will have countersink collars on them--they're actually for pre-drilling on decks--but you can just remove them and use them as they are. I believe they come in a 3-pack with 5/32", 11/64", and 3/16". They're not all that expensive--maybe twenty bucks (?).

Todd