Craftsman 109 Lathe questions

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Craftsman 109 Lathe questions

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have a friend that has an opportunity to buy a Craftsman 109 lathe.

Anyone have one, and can offer tips or pointers about problems or issues unique to this lathe?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Kurt, I bought one on ebay and didn't really know what I was buying. The way set-up leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion compared to the 101. model. The spindle is also only 1/2" and was solid on mine, and would be too small for stem material to fit thru anyway. The one that I got was pretty worn out, so I may be a bit biased.

For the same kind of money I was able to pick up the 101. Which is basically the 618. Atlas, and a much better lathe.

On the upside, there are still many 109. models in use and many places replacement parts can be bought.

My opinion, (and I don't have much experience with lathes), is too pass on the 109 and wait till something better comes along.

Unless of course, the price is very low, as the lathe parted out on Ebay would bring pretty good money. I parted mine out and tripled my money on it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks! Since he's going to be using this to turn mostly metal bits (not a pipe maker) I don't think the solid spindle is a problem. However, I'll let him know. Thanks for the input!
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

One other thing Kurt, if it's been used much at all, I'd check the run out on the chuck, as when they are used too heavily, the spindle being so small can be easily bent. So I'd make sure it isn't before making a purchase. That is the weak spot that I know of on the model your talking about.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You know, I thought of that. The entire spindle is smaller than the through-hole on my South bend.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com