Briar percentages

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Sasquatch

Briar percentages

Post by Sasquatch »

What is a normal percentage of defective stuff in any given batch of briar chunks?

I'm thinking there are 3 main categories: Unusable due to major defect, useable but not perfect (rustication comes into play), and defectless - no pits, no cracks.

How many blanks just get tossed in the stove?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ah, if we knew that.....

It varies from batch to batch, from cutter to cutter, and by your personal ability to work around smaller flaws. There's no magic formula, and no consistent number of total rejects. It really is a crap shoot, mitigated only by your skill.

That said, some briar is recognized to be better than others, and you *do* end up paying more for it. Romeo Briar is recognized as some of the best, though there are some close seconds. Pipemakers emporium (pipemakers.org) carries some excellent Algerian briar, and before the cutter went exclusive with them, my reject rate was about 1 in 100. I now deal with a Spanish cutter and my reject rate on the last batch was about 5 in 100 - still very good in my opinion.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I suspect my skill level and the quality level of my briar blocks are pretty well aligned. I will hope for better in the future, in both categories.
Reckon I'll try some of the Cirta briar from the emporium next time.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I have extremly good luck with PME's wood, my avarage is about 2 unusable out of 12. But thats my average, I hand pick it. There are certain things I look out for when selecting a block.

I have better luck with their tassili. I seem to get more usable blocks when I buy more of the higher end wood.

Ryan
R Quagliata Pipes
http://www.rquagliatapipes.com/