bowling ball stem material

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
pennsyscot

bowling ball stem material

Post by pennsyscot »

I have aquired an old bowling ball at no cost. It appears to be a very large chunk of vulcanized rubber. I'm planning to cut it up for stem material. Is there any reason I should not do this? Is a bowling bowl solid rubber? thanks, Scot
Frank

Post by Frank »

This was mentioned in another thread. I believe it is regular vulcanite and can be used for stems. Due to the curvature of the ball, the stems might be somewhat short, since the ball itself has a hollow core.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Only the outside "shell" will be usable vulcanized rubber. Once you get further in than that, you're looking at the "core" material, whatever it happens to be. Jody tried this some years back. If those things were solid usable vulcanite, I'd have my garage stacked full of them. You should be able to get some usable material out of it for sure, though.

Todd
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

I remember that thread as well. I don't think that the problem was how much of the ball was vulcanite. I think the problem was how much work it was to cut up the ball. Someone tried it with a band saw and said it was quite a labor intensive process. The other problem that they ran into was the smell. I'm sure it is nothing different than sanding a stem but on a larger scale.
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

How *do* you cut up a bowling ball? Chain saw? That initial cut would be a bugger.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Anvil wrote:I remember that thread as well. I don't think that the problem was how much of the ball was vulcanite. I think the problem was how much work it was to cut up the ball. Someone tried it with a band saw and said it was quite a labor intensive process. The other problem that they ran into was the smell. I'm sure it is nothing different than sanding a stem but on a larger scale.
This has nothing to do with a thread. About seven or eight years ago, Jody Davis tried this with a bowling ball and found that only the outer shell was vulcanite.

Todd
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

There is only about 3/8" or so of vulcanite around a wood core. Not worth the effort.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

RadDavis wrote:How *do* you cut up a bowling ball?

Rad
You just use a bowling-ball-cutter.

Todd
jeff

Post by jeff »

RadDavis wrote:How *do* you cut up a bowling ball? Chain saw? That initial cut would be a bugger.

Rad
Send it to Mimmo.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

I do not have a bandsaw large enough to handle a bowling ball. So, I've begun to cut it in half with hand saws. I'm only one third of the way through and I'm exhausted. So far all the saw dust looks and smells like rubber. The saw is constantly getting stuck. I have to keep the blade lubricated with wax just to keep it moving. It does smell like burnt rubber, but no worse then workin a stem. I will post pics when and if I make it all the way through. I hope I get more than a sore shoulder out of this.
jeff

Post by jeff »

There's no harm experimenting, but you might find it more worth your time to make pipes and buy rod stock. ;)
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Yeah, I looked at this awhile back.

Cutting Bowling Balls on a Band Saw

Some balls are made from urethane, and some have very little actual usable material involved, but I would bet money there's a few ebonite bowling balls that would make some dandy stems.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Rob, thanks for the article. I was unable to read the text, for some reason it appears as a bunch of strange symbols. I've been having this trouble with PDF files recently. The pictures are clear and I see that I have the exact same ball that is marked as ebonite in the first picture. I see that the first 1.25" is made of ebonite, this would yield a great deal of stem material. However, I have the ball with the ugly splotches of color on it. I don't think that would make attractive stems. I was hoping that the black material in the core was going to be useful. I guess that Jay was correct, I should focus my efforts on trying to make a decent pipe. I simply could not resist the allure of a large quantity of free material. Although, If I should happen upon a black rubber bowling ball I'll definitely be sawing again.
Frank

Post by Frank »

pennsyscot wrote:I was unable to read the text, for some reason it appears as a bunch of strange symbols. I've been having this trouble with PDF files recently.
It's possible all you need is an update to your Adobe Reader.

pennsyscot wrote:However, I have the ball with the ugly splotches of color on it. I don't think that would make attractive stems.
From the picture, it looks as if the colour splotches are only on the surface of the ball.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
me2cyclops

Post by me2cyclops »

careful not to cut through the center , some have a ceramic core that really buggers up blades :x
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

From the picture, it looks as if the colour splotches are only on the surface of the ball.

The depth of color penetration varies between .5 and .75". It would be difficult to work around. I could probably get a couple stems out of it.
careful not to cut through the center , some have a ceramic core that really buggers up blades
This is a very old bowling ball. It is made from solid rubber. The outer 1-1.25" is ebonite. Yes, there is variation in the thickness of the outer layer. The interior is some type of hardened rubber, but there seems to some filler mixed with it. I have sawed all the way through and have found the ball to be solid with no core.

I got tired of sawing so i broke the last part. The fracture revealed the difference between the inner and outer materials. I can see small flecks of brown material, maybe sawdust?,in the fractured core material.