question about this style

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

question about this style

Post by bscofield »

I have been seeing this style more and more often. Specificaly I mean the style where the shank appears to attach itself to the bottom of the bowl. Now, astheticaly I'm not too fond of it at this point but I have question about it's practicality. I have not seen to many pipes like this but look at the one in the picture. The air hole has got to be drilled "up hill" doesn't it? And if so what would that do to the smoking of this pipe? Wouldn't gravity make it a wet smoke?? Granted, that would depend on how you hold it as well... The pipe pictured is a Nording.

bscofield

Post by bscofield »

random, is cutty-drill a technical term? Being serious... not sure what your referring to.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Doesn't do a thing for me. But then what do I know?????? Not much when it comes too Art.
TreverT

Re: question about this style

Post by TreverT »

bscofield wrote:I have been seeing this style more and more often. Specificaly I mean the style where the shank appears to attach itself to the bottom of the bowl. Now, astheticaly I'm not too fond of it at this point but I have question about it's practicality. I have not seen to many pipes like this but look at the one in the picture. The air hole has got to be drilled "up hill" doesn't it? And if so what would that do to the smoking of this pipe? Wouldn't gravity make it a wet smoke?? Granted, that would depend on how you hold it as well... The pipe pictured is a Nording.

That particular pipe looks as if it could have been drilled straight without much problem, but "uphill" drilling is often done and works fine. In fact, a good number of the Ligne Bretagne stummels we have use a mild uphill drilling even in the straight pipes, in order to leave more wood under the chamber - it's done for durability on medium-to-small pipes.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/