Magnifier safety glasses

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Magnifier safety glasses

Post by KurtHuhn »

A while back my dad gave me a pair of safety glasses that has one important twist - magnification areas above and below the normal sight-line through the lenses - like crazy bifocals that keep flying debris out of your eyes. Now, I don't usually go for things like this. I wear contacts, and I figure I can see just fine. I put the safety glasses on my workbench and forgot about them.

One day I left my normal pair of safety glasses upstairs, and didn't feel like going up to get them, so I grabbed the magnifying ones and threw them on when I fired up the lathe. Once I got used to where to look through, I found that I was actually depending on the magnifiers to look at things up close - like a pair of reading glasses!

I will swear up and down that I don't need reading glasses (and will probably be wrong) but these things are excellent for looking at small details up close. Most recently I was hand-rubbing a finish on a knife blade, and despite not really needing safety glasses for that operation, I wore them anyway because I could really see the finish developing as I worked the abrasive against the steel.

Just a helpful tip for those that may be approaching The Age Of Eye Decline.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

After my laser eye surgery to correct my myopia, I no longer have fine near sight - perhaps it's a combination of age and the surgery. I almost always have regular reading glasses hanging around my neck, plus a pair of the highest power reading glasses for fine print. For really detailed work I use these: Headband Magnifier

Kurt, yours sound like proper safety glasses with magnification areas. Do you have a link as to where they are obtainable?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have no idea where my dad picked these up from. However I've seen similar ones at Woodcraft.

The nice thing about the ones I have is that there's a magnification area both above and below the line of site - making it easy to use the magnification no matter what position your head is in.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
FredS

Re: Magnifier safety glasses

Post by FredS »

KurtHuhn wrote:. . . Just a helpful tip for those that may be approaching The Age Of Eye Decline.
I my case that age would be 46 years. When I first started using glasses a year ago it was basically just to read the scrolling info line on the bottom of the ESPN screen. Now I can't do any layout or set-up work without them. At least now I never have to hunt for safety glasses because I always have my specs on!
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Yep........ I know the glasses your talking about Kurt. I have to wear safety glasses at work and can't read a computer screen without reading glasses either. So I bought two sets of the safety glasses with the readers built into the lens. They work great and really weren't that much of a cost. I bought a clear pair and a slightly tinted pair. Been using them two years now and wouldn't and couldn't be without them.

I bought mine on ebay........ The ones I got are the sporty tight to the face ones and not the ones the size of a house.

Here is an example of what I found!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Radians-C2-Bifocal- ... 7C294%3A50
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You know what, I hate to say it, but I'm at the point that I probably should be getting reading glasses anyway. As much as I hate the idea, these safety glasses are really, really nice - and are probably the gateway drug (so to speak) to me actually getting a pair the next time I visit the eye doctor.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I will look at these next time I am at the store:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,42207