Thoughts on this mini lathe...

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
jmlarsen

Thoughts on this mini lathe...

Post by jmlarsen »

Is there anything wrong with this lathe as a starter? The only problem to me seems to be the 650 rpm starting speed, rather than the JET or Delta 500 rpm.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLPROVS.html

I'd love to hear your take on this! Thanks!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This lathe is another of the litany list of lathe built by the same factory as builds the Jet and Delta lathes. It's virtually identical in construction - if you look at the jet and Turncrafter side by side, you can see the castings are all identical.

However, major differences abound. While I do not have firsthand experience with these, I do know that there are some common problems. Some folks have had problems with premature wear on the bearings. Other report bent spindles - right from the box. Thankfully, both are easily replaceable. A more difficult problem to rectify is the tailstock being ever-so-slightly off-center.

And, if you ask me, there must be *SOME* reason why it's nearly half the cost of a Jet. Something has been cut somewhere to bring the price down that far. However, I have no experience with it, so I couldn't say anything authoritative about it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

I think the official Jet and Delta logo stickers must run about $200 from what I've seen. :)
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Anvil wrote:I think the official Jet and Delta logo stickers must run about $200 from what I've seen. :)
Having owned both Enco and Jet metal lathes that are made in the same factory and look *exactly* alike, I can say that the Jet lable is worth every bit of what you pay for it.

The Enco was a total piece of crap, and the Jet is an excellent machine.

They are made to different specs. Even the threading is different on the spindles.

Apparently there are lots of corners you can cut to make a cheap, crappy machine that looks just like a really nice one.

Rad
jmlarsen

Post by jmlarsen »

Thanks for your input. It would make sense that companies are cutting corners to bring prices down.

I've seen a company (can't remember right now) that sells Scratch n Dent Jet lathes - do you all think that would be worth looking into?
Frank

Post by Frank »

RadDavis wrote:The Enco was a total piece of crap, and the Jet is an excellent machine.

They are made to different specs. Even the threading is different on the spindles.

Apparently there are lots of corners you can cut to make a cheap, crappy machine that looks just like a really nice one.
Kurt made a similar observation re Delta. It depends on what the importer is willing to pay. Delta will slap the same label on all their products, but vary the quality depending on how much is being paid by the importer. It seems the only way to sort out the wheat from the chaff is through forums like this.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett